Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fginfrida
Partner - Contributor III

The Average Function (Chart) result differs from the average (total) on a straight table

I have a data set that shows, by assignee, the date that a service request was placed in a work queue.  The table shows all the items in the queue, selectable by assignee.  I've configured the table to return average number of backlog days:

fginfrida_0-1593541037502.png

Where the column Backlog Days is forced to be a measure by setting equal to Avg(Backlog_Day_Number). The query that generates a data set for this application returns a value for backlog days which is calculated excluding all non-working days.

The value of 8.9 for the particular assignee is correct - a total of 62 backlog days for 7 service requests.  Well and good.

However, when I try to compute the backlog elsewhere in the application, either with the formula

Aggr(Avg(Backlog_Day_Number),Assignee) 

Or with a simple 

Avg(Backlog_Day_Number) with a selection of "Charles Burrell"

the application returns 11.17.

Clearly I'm failing to understand something about the Avg. Function (and why it differs from selecting a Total with a type of Avg).  Can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks,

Frank Ginfrida

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
fginfrida
Author

Thank you.  That provided a correct answer.

I'm still not clear on the rationale for the result. I'll have to dig deeper into the AVG function and how it operates.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
sunny_talwar

How about this?

Avg(Aggr(
    Avg(Backlog_Day_Number)
, Assignee, [SR No.]))

fginfrida
Author

Thank you.  That provided a correct answer.

I'm still not clear on the rationale for the result. I'll have to dig deeper into the AVG function and how it operates.