Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MB_
Contributor
Contributor

row-level modification of class() expression (class([Field]*x,...), where x depends on another field)

Hi everyone,

I am trying to build a bar chart using class(). The simplified version already works and is basically designed like this:

Dimensions:

• Stack: class([Price], $(vBucketSize))
  • Bars: [Brand]

Measure:

• Length of Bars: Sum([Volume])

Now I want to be able to modify the prices of some brands for simulations. For that, I introduced two more variables that can be set by the user:

• vBrand
  • vMultiplier

Let’s assume vBrand is 'BrandA' and vMultiplier is 0.5, then I want to show the prices of BrandA reduced by 50%, and all other brands with their original prices.

To incorporate this in the bar chart, I tried to modify the Stack expression:

class([Price] * pick(wildmatch([Brand], '$(vBrand)' + 1, 1, $(vMultiplier)), $(vBucketSize))

This term works just fine in all other charts I use in my app, only the bar chart with class() refuses to work. It seems to me that a row-level modification in the first parameter of class() is not possible!? I can multiply with a single factor like class([Price]*0.5, $(vBucketSize)) which changes all prices, but as soon as I try to adapt the multiplication based on a field, I always get: The chart is not displayed because it contains only undefined values.

I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Exemplary data:

Brand

Price

Volume

BrandA

BrandA

BrandB

BrandC

P.S.:

I am using pick(wildmatch()) and not a simple if(), because I want to be able to add more variables for brands & multipliers, like vBrand1, vBrand2, … However, I also tested this with a simple *if([Brand]='$(vBrand)', $(vMultiplier), 1) and got the same results.

The +1 at the end of wildmatch is to make sure that all brands that are not selected for vBrand are multiplied by 1 (i.e., no change to their prices).

Labels (1)
2 Replies
marcus_sommer

I assume you missed respectively (intentionally) skipped Brand as dimension within the bar-chart. Without it as dimension the call of Brand and/or Price without using an aggregation will return NULL. In this case you will need to add the wanted dimensionality to your calculated dimension, maybe with something like this:

class(aggr([Price] * pick(wildmatch([Brand], '$(vBrand)' + 1, 1, $(vMultiplier)), Brand), $(vBucketSize))

MB_
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thanks for your reply!

I have tried that, still doesn't work. Played around with aggr() quite a lot, but found no solution.

I now have also tried to do the same chart as a Vizlib Bar Chart. And there, the original term simply works. No aggr() or any other adaptions needed. However, the Vizlib chart has other restrictions, so I would still prefer to use the normal Bar Chart.