Qlik Community

Ask a Question

App Development

Discussion board where members can learn more about Qlik Sense App Development and Usage.

Announcements
Support Cases coming to Qlik Community Oct. 4! Start chats, open cases, explore resources: READ DETAILS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Applicable88
Creator III
Creator III

why Concat() -Function no need for double quotes in set expression

Hello,

someone here just helped me out with the return of a straight table where I needed a calculated dimension to filter only the very top and the very bottom dataset of a value:

=Aggr(Only({<ActionNo. = {$(=Concat(Aggr(Min(ActionNo.),QueueNo.),',')),$(=Concat(Aggr(Max(ActionNo.),QueueNo.),','))}>}ActionNo.), ActionNo., QueueNo.)

What strikes me is that, why the concat() function doesnt need a double quote to initiate a search?  Does not a the dollar sign expansion within the curvy bracket of a set expression always need to be initiated into a search?

Hope someone can explain to me.

Thank you very much. 

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
tm_burgers
Creator III
Creator III

I believe it is because the resulting set expression is not searching the data set; it is looking for distinct values that your concat expressions are feeding the set expressing. 

when you are searching you are using >  or < or a wildcard; then you would need double quotes, but in your set expression the concat fields are being generated as a comma separated list of distinct values. 

View solution in original post

MayilVahanan

Hi @Applicable88 

$(=Concat(Aggr(Min(ActionNo.),QueueNo.),',') <-- Its concatenate the minimum of Action No based on QueueNo and we're not searching here. We're assigning the values. 

$() <-- its evaluates the values.

Thanks & Regards,
Mayil Vahanan R

2 Replies
tm_burgers
Creator III
Creator III

I believe it is because the resulting set expression is not searching the data set; it is looking for distinct values that your concat expressions are feeding the set expressing. 

when you are searching you are using >  or < or a wildcard; then you would need double quotes, but in your set expression the concat fields are being generated as a comma separated list of distinct values. 

MayilVahanan

Hi @Applicable88 

$(=Concat(Aggr(Min(ActionNo.),QueueNo.),',') <-- Its concatenate the minimum of Action No based on QueueNo and we're not searching here. We're assigning the values. 

$() <-- its evaluates the values.

Thanks & Regards,
Mayil Vahanan R