Skip to main content
Announcements
July 15, NEW Customer Portal: Initial launch will improve how you submit Support Cases. IMPORTANT DETAILS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
manuelgomez
Partner - Contributor III

Error loading Catalog data with BiGQuery

Dear community, we are having problems loading data into Qlik Catalogs from BigQuery, throwing the following error: 

manuelgomez_0-1694091121609.png

In the load logs the following error appears, we do not know if it is from Catalog or from Bigquery

manuelgomez_1-1694091294287.png

Labels (5)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
dft
Employee
Employee

Required permissions
At a minimum, to write query results to a table, you must be granted the following permissions:

bigquery.tables.create permissions to create a new table
bigquery.tables.updateData to write data to a new table, overwrite a table, or append data to a table
bigquery.jobs.create to run a query job
Additional permissions such as bigquery.tables.getData may be required to access the data you're querying.

The following predefined IAM roles include both bigquery.tables.create and bigquery.tables.updateData permissions:

bigquery.dataEditor
bigquery.dataOwner
bigquery.admin
The following predefined IAM roles include bigquery.jobs.create permissions:

bigquery.user
bigquery.jobUser
bigquery.admin
In addition, if a user has bigquery.datasets.create permissions, when that user creates a dataset, they are granted bigquery.dataOwner access to it. bigquery.dataOwner access gives the user the ability to create and update tables in the dataset.

For more information on IAM roles and permissions in BigQuery, see Predefined roles and permissions.

View solution in original post

MarkPollard
Employee
Employee

Google'ing "Transaction control statements are supported only in scripts or sessions" generates several results. It appears this error is coming from the Simba GBQ JDBC driver. It appears that ";EnableSession=1;" should be added to the end of the JDBC URL (be careful not to end up with two semi-colons) -- I would restart Tomcat after changing the Source Connection. If this fails, I would downgrade to an older Simba driver that pre-dates this change.  Here is the first Google result: https://exasol.my.site.com/s/article/BigQuery-Transaction-control-statements-are-supported-only-in-s...

View solution in original post

6 Replies
dft
Employee
Employee

This is a Big Query permission issue.

manuelgomez
Author

Thanks for your answer, there is some documentation regarding the requirements on BigQuery

dft
Employee
Employee

Required permissions
At a minimum, to write query results to a table, you must be granted the following permissions:

bigquery.tables.create permissions to create a new table
bigquery.tables.updateData to write data to a new table, overwrite a table, or append data to a table
bigquery.jobs.create to run a query job
Additional permissions such as bigquery.tables.getData may be required to access the data you're querying.

The following predefined IAM roles include both bigquery.tables.create and bigquery.tables.updateData permissions:

bigquery.dataEditor
bigquery.dataOwner
bigquery.admin
The following predefined IAM roles include bigquery.jobs.create permissions:

bigquery.user
bigquery.jobUser
bigquery.admin
In addition, if a user has bigquery.datasets.create permissions, when that user creates a dataset, they are granted bigquery.dataOwner access to it. bigquery.dataOwner access gives the user the ability to create and update tables in the dataset.

For more information on IAM roles and permissions in BigQuery, see Predefined roles and permissions.
manuelgomez
Author

Thank you very much, the permissions issue has been resolved, but now the following is appearing

manuelgomez_0-1694115207760.jpeg

Can you help me if what comes out is fine or we need another permission

MarkPollard
Employee
Employee

Google'ing "Transaction control statements are supported only in scripts or sessions" generates several results. It appears this error is coming from the Simba GBQ JDBC driver. It appears that ";EnableSession=1;" should be added to the end of the JDBC URL (be careful not to end up with two semi-colons) -- I would restart Tomcat after changing the Source Connection. If this fails, I would downgrade to an older Simba driver that pre-dates this change.  Here is the first Google result: https://exasol.my.site.com/s/article/BigQuery-Transaction-control-statements-are-supported-only-in-s...

manuelgomez
Author

Thank you very much for the help provided with the indicated we were able to solve the problem