Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavidFosterVF
Creator
Creator

Apache Hive / AtScale. ODBC works, native connector fails

I need help with connecting to Apache Hive / AtScale.

Using Windows Apache Hive ODBC Driver I am able to get a successful connection if I  change the transport from HTTP to SASL. It took a lot of faff with the reverse proxy and SSL certificates, but it works.

When I try to replicate that connection using Qlik Sense's native Apache Hive connector I get an error (see attached).

Questions:

1. Can I get the Qlik connector to use a proxy?
  2. Can I specify the Qlik connector to use SASL?

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jay_Brown
Support
Support

Hello @DavidFosterVF , 

Lots of questions here but could you try to add some parameters:
name: ThriftTransport, Value: 1
name: HTTPPath, Value: gateway/default/hive

Those are according this documentation from Simba:

https://www.simba.com/products/Hive/doc/ODBC_InstallGuide/win/content/odbc/hi/options/ui/thrifttrans... 
simba.com

• Binary (0)
  • SASL (1)
  • HTTP (2)

Best,

J

To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to mark a correct resolution or answer to your problem or question as correct.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Jay_Brown
Support
Support

Hello @DavidFosterVF , 

Lots of questions here but could you try to add some parameters:
name: ThriftTransport, Value: 1
name: HTTPPath, Value: gateway/default/hive

Those are according this documentation from Simba:

https://www.simba.com/products/Hive/doc/ODBC_InstallGuide/win/content/odbc/hi/options/ui/thrifttrans... 
simba.com

• Binary (0)
  • SASL (1)
  • HTTP (2)

Best,

J

To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to mark a correct resolution or answer to your problem or question as correct.
DavidFosterVF
Creator
Creator
Author

Great thanks

DavidFosterVF
Creator
Creator
Author

@Jay_Brown  there does not seem to be a keyword for using a proxy. Any ideas

Jay_Brown
Support
Support

David, unfortunately there is not much info on this.  Have you tried things such as Proxy_Host/ProxyHost? 

For our other drivers we have similar driver custom parameters available: UseProxy, ProxyHost, ProxyPort, ProxyUID, ProxyPWD; However, information is very limited unfortunately and I don't have an instance with this config to test against.

If you check within the connectors folder, Default location:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Qlik\Custom Data\QvOdbcConnectorPackage\hive\lib
you can see that the driver is developed by Simba, so you may want to check the Simba community to see if there are passable parameters other than what I've posted.

DavidFosterVF
Creator
Creator
Author

@Jay_Brown 

These instructions seem to have worked for the proxy.

Configure Simba ODBC driver with a proxy in Windows - Databricks

i have been able to successfully connect and retrieve data. 

Thanks for your help.

Jay_Brown
Support
Support

That's fantastic @DavidFosterVF ! 

This information will definitely help others in the future and thank you for sharing the final configuration needed!