Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KJM
Contributor III
Contributor III

Connecting to a Sharepoint List to Interrogate the Data inputted

Hi folks,

Would any of you have a step by step guide on using the Office 365 Sharepoint Metadata connector  in Qliksense Cloud to connect to a Sharepoint List so an app can interrogate the entries?

I have only found the following which only references the possibility rather than explaining how to.  I also can't see any examples in the QCC.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/connectors/Subsystems/Integrated_Web_Connectors_help/Content/Connectors_...

As I try to muddle through it I'm getting 404 Not Found or 400 Bad Request errors.

Thanks,

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KJM
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hello future readers,

I worked this out - seems very simple now but I remember when it didn't seem simple so I'm posting the steps below in case anyone else comes across this:

To access data from a Sharepoint List you must use the Office 365 Sharepoint Metadata connector (note Metadata in the name of the connector).

• To access data from a Sharepoint List you must use the Office 365 Sharepoint Metadata connector (note Metadata in the name of the connector).
  • Your base URL is the sharepoint address of your organisation up to the .com - i.e. https://myorganisation.sharepoint.com/ 
  • Change consent level to none, authenticate, copy the authentication code, paste it into the add data connection window, and hit create
  • Now when you add data from files and other sources; the space that you created this connection in will have a metadata connector down the left hand side.
  • When you select the connector, click on lists (but don't tick the box).  In the Site/Subsite Path input the relevent teamsite e.g. teams/myteam
  • Use the preview data button, find your list from the results, and copy the id for it from the first column
  • Now click on ItemsFromLists section again without ticking the box
  • Paste the id to the ID for List and again input your teamsite as the site/subpath.  If you wish you can input a particular view but I'm not explaining that here.  Should be self explanatory once you've completed this.  
  • Preview data and now either tick the box beside ItemsFromList to bring in every field, or select fields individually.  
  • SImply hit next and you're done!

Hope this helps someone.  As I say, seems very simple now but it wasn't once!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KJM
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hello future readers,

I worked this out - seems very simple now but I remember when it didn't seem simple so I'm posting the steps below in case anyone else comes across this:

To access data from a Sharepoint List you must use the Office 365 Sharepoint Metadata connector (note Metadata in the name of the connector).

• To access data from a Sharepoint List you must use the Office 365 Sharepoint Metadata connector (note Metadata in the name of the connector).
  • Your base URL is the sharepoint address of your organisation up to the .com - i.e. https://myorganisation.sharepoint.com/ 
  • Change consent level to none, authenticate, copy the authentication code, paste it into the add data connection window, and hit create
  • Now when you add data from files and other sources; the space that you created this connection in will have a metadata connector down the left hand side.
  • When you select the connector, click on lists (but don't tick the box).  In the Site/Subsite Path input the relevent teamsite e.g. teams/myteam
  • Use the preview data button, find your list from the results, and copy the id for it from the first column
  • Now click on ItemsFromLists section again without ticking the box
  • Paste the id to the ID for List and again input your teamsite as the site/subpath.  If you wish you can input a particular view but I'm not explaining that here.  Should be self explanatory once you've completed this.  
  • Preview data and now either tick the box beside ItemsFromList to bring in every field, or select fields individually.  
  • SImply hit next and you're done!

Hope this helps someone.  As I say, seems very simple now but it wasn't once!

jb_1234
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hello KJM,

This post is really useful. I have one doubt though, how can i access the metdata of files in one particular folder in a specific view.

eg: Main Folder ->Folder1, Folder2->file1,file2...

I want the metadata of file 2 in folder 2. 

Could you help me ?