Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AnalyticsDev
Contributor III
Contributor III

Qlik & Oracle

Hi,

I have a need to connect to an oracle based database with Qlik.  The Oracle administrator gave me the appropriate information (Host/IP, port, username/password).  I have the appropriate firewall access.

Its probably been almost 15 years since Ive needed to connect to an oracle source so my knowledge of it is hazy.

I tried following the directions on oracle's website in order to get an oracle ODBC driver installed.  I unzipped the oracle_21 basic client into c:\InstantClient as suggested. I unzipped the oracle_21instant client ODBC driver files into the same directory as suggested (c:\InstantClient\Instantclient_21_11 .

I then executed odbc_install as instructed.

Instructions then say to find my oracle_home directory for the tnsnames.ora and listener.ora files.  I've scoured all suggested areas for it (c:\apps doesnt exist on my machine). I've checked registry (hkey_local_machine\software\oracle and nothing is there). I seem to not have it.

How on earth do I get the oracle_home directory ?  I need this, presumably, so that I can modify my environment path etc to finish this setup.

Thanks,

PS. When I go into 64bit odbc, I do see the driver there and when I populate it with the information provided by the oracle admin, it returns ora-12154: TNS could not resolve the connect identifier specified.  So I assume something is wrong with my tnsnames.ora file (I created myself) and since I dont have an oracle_home, something is wrong. 

1 Reply
Pablo007
Creator
Creator

Hi,  My suggestion is to speak with Oracle administrator,  and if possible show to them the screens,  many times the problem is a simple thing like tnsnames.ora at Gateway.

But normally the fast thing is try that they help you eventhough  normally they will tell you that they do not have a clue about Qlik.