Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dan_sullivan
Creator II
Creator II

Unable to create mongoDB connection

I have verified my account details (server, port, database, username, password)  and connect to mongoDB using Robo3T.  However whenever I transfer those credentials to the Qlik Sense and try to create a connection using the pre-built connector we get this error when we hit the test connection button.

ERROR [HY000] [Qlik][MongoDBODBC] (29) Child field name should not be empty, parent is "record".

Has anyone experienced this issue?  Running Feb2021 Patch 4

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dan_sullivan
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I did. I had to create a schema on the collections within the database in order for Qlik to recognize it. Rough directions on how to resolve this are below. Once you do this, you can then go back into Qlik and have it recognize the credentials and access the data. You will need to update the schema EVERY time a new collection gets added to the mongo database in order for Qlik to recognize it.

1. Open "Schema Editor"

* Open ODBC Data Sources (64-bit) → Select any 64 bit Simba MongoDB ODBC connection → Configure
* Populate necessary details - Server (e.g. fully qualified name here) → Port (27017) → Database (e.g. QLIK) → Authentication Source (admin) → Username (e.g. DB_READER) → Password (xxxxxx)
* Test the connection details by clicking "Test"
* Once connection is tested, click "Schema Editor"
* Notes:

* It's important to select correct Database for the collection to show up under expected database
* You can also open Schema Editor by accessing the application directly (typically under C:\Program Files\Simba MongoDB ODBC Driver\Tools\SchemaEditor)

1. Click "Modify Database Schema Definition"
2. Select Connection String (will be pre-populated based on details already entered) → click "Connect"
3. Collections already sampled will show under "Design View"
4. For adding new collections, go to "Sample View" → Select the needed Collections from the list below → Enter Sampling count as appropriate (e.g. 100) → click Sample
5. To preview data, select collection under "Design View" → click "Preview"
6. Go to "File" → "Publish Schema Map"
7. You'll get a publish successful confirmation message
8. Close "Schema Editor"

* You can close Simba MongoDB ODBC connection Configure window without saving changes (since it is just an interface to access Schema Editor and not really meant to edit the ODBC connection details)

View solution in original post

3 Replies
PrashantSangle

Hello @dan_sullivan ,

Did you get solution of this? or did you used any workaround for it? 

Can you assist me too on this?

Regards,

Prashant Sangle

Great dreamer's dreams never fulfilled, they are always transcended.
Please appreciate our Qlik community members by giving Kudos for sharing their time for your query. If your query is answered, please mark the topic as resolved 🙂
dan_sullivan
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I did. I had to create a schema on the collections within the database in order for Qlik to recognize it. Rough directions on how to resolve this are below. Once you do this, you can then go back into Qlik and have it recognize the credentials and access the data. You will need to update the schema EVERY time a new collection gets added to the mongo database in order for Qlik to recognize it.

1. Open "Schema Editor"

* Open ODBC Data Sources (64-bit) → Select any 64 bit Simba MongoDB ODBC connection → Configure
* Populate necessary details - Server (e.g. fully qualified name here) → Port (27017) → Database (e.g. QLIK) → Authentication Source (admin) → Username (e.g. DB_READER) → Password (xxxxxx)
* Test the connection details by clicking "Test"
* Once connection is tested, click "Schema Editor"
* Notes:

* It's important to select correct Database for the collection to show up under expected database
* You can also open Schema Editor by accessing the application directly (typically under C:\Program Files\Simba MongoDB ODBC Driver\Tools\SchemaEditor)

1. Click "Modify Database Schema Definition"
2. Select Connection String (will be pre-populated based on details already entered) → click "Connect"
3. Collections already sampled will show under "Design View"
4. For adding new collections, go to "Sample View" → Select the needed Collections from the list below → Enter Sampling count as appropriate (e.g. 100) → click Sample
5. To preview data, select collection under "Design View" → click "Preview"
6. Go to "File" → "Publish Schema Map"
7. You'll get a publish successful confirmation message
8. Close "Schema Editor"

* You can close Simba MongoDB ODBC connection Configure window without saving changes (since it is just an interface to access Schema Editor and not really meant to edit the ODBC connection details)

Inakn87
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same error, and we found that in the database there was a child field with no name. It was a mistake by the person responsible for the DB. After he fixed the field , the connection worked. You need to find the parent filed "record" and to find a child field that is empty

Inakn87_0-1699170277023.png