Not applicable

Backup postgreSQL without stopping servises

n/a

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

You do not need to stop Qlik Sense services to get a backup of the Repository Database. PostgreSQL can handle queuing any transactions until the dump is complete. So the result is a valid .TAR file backup.

The concern with this method is that you really do need to stop services to take a back up of the apps used by Qlik Sense. Our Engine process does not queue transactions for a full restore you need a copy of the binary from disk + the DB from a single point in time for reliable results.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
m_s
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hello Sana,

I just tried that in our development enviroment and there were no issues so I think it just works .

You can backup your database with the following commands:

Open cmd.exe

Change directory to PostgreSQL:

cd %ProgramFiles%\Qlik\Sense\Repository\PostgreSQL\9.3\bin

OR

cd %ProgramFiles%\Qlik\Sense\Repository\PostgreSQL\9.6\bin

Create Backup (need to enter your repository password):

pg_dump.exe -h localhost -p 4432 -U postgres -b -F t -f "c:\backup\QSR_backup.tar" QSR

Cheers,

Mathias

Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

You do not need to stop Qlik Sense services to get a backup of the Repository Database. PostgreSQL can handle queuing any transactions until the dump is complete. So the result is a valid .TAR file backup.

The concern with this method is that you really do need to stop services to take a back up of the apps used by Qlik Sense. Our Engine process does not queue transactions for a full restore you need a copy of the binary from disk + the DB from a single point in time for reliable results.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

So it can be used t restore ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

So it can be used t restore ?

QlikMaster1
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi, whilst this is a very old thread, thought id provide some clarity and @Levi_Turner can correct me, but what he is saying is yes, your fine to backup the database, but you will need to take also a valid back of your qlik route directly, so where the apps, connectors , static data lives to ensure a fully viable restore. 

That is what he meant by Disk + DB backups.