Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fishing_weights
Contributor III
Contributor III

Qliksense version of Qlikview 3 tier architecture in broswer

I'm exploring with my company the move from qlikview to qliksense.

Currently we are using the concept of a qvw to extract, a qvw to model and finally a qvw to display the actual dashboard.

How is this different when I am trying to build in the broswer? do i create folders or filepaths in qlik cloud? or should i be working on the desktop version instead with the same 3 tier architecture? what about subroutines and storing them separately? how does that work? 

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

ps: you can still INCLUDE QVS script files from external files in both Qlik Sense and in Qlik Cloud. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

Its possible to binary load in Qlik Sense but its not recommended in a larger more active environment because of the danger of file locking. Thats because in Qlik Sense all apps reside in a single folder on the Qlik share.  https://community.qlik.com/t5/Official-Support-Articles/Binary-Loads-in-Qlik-Sense-Binary-load-fails...

You can still use the same concept but tweak it so that instead of a QVF/QVW (app) being used to store your model, write the tables in the data model to a folder containing QVDs. https://community.qlik.com/t5/New-to-Qlik-Sense/Store-all-tables-as-QVD/td-p/1668635

You can store the QVDs in whatever folders you want on the server or on an SMB share and reference the 'model QVDs' via folder connections. This gives you some added security because you secure data connections in qlik sense with security rules, but you cannot in qlikview. 

If you migrate your apps to qlik sense, consider deploying Qlik Cloud instead which is a SaaS version of Qlik Sense. In SaaS, you can store apps in multiple logical locations ('spaces') and deploy the QVW/QVF model approach you used in QlikView with binary loading. You can also reload apps securely from data sources that are on-premesis behind a firewall using the Direct Access Data Gateway. That way you don't have to provision and maintain architecture and for the most part, not worry about upgrades. 

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

ps: you can still INCLUDE QVS script files from external files in both Qlik Sense and in Qlik Cloud.