Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LennartSchulte
Contributor II
Contributor II

Excel vLookup in Talend

Hi,

i was now searching and trying for some time and was not able to find a solution for an obviously simple problem. I want to perform an vLookup like mapping in talend.

This is what i have so far:

Master File:

uid

name

description

Lookup File:

parentUID(refers to UID in Master file)

attributeID

value

Target File

"ID": master.uid

"Name: master.name

"Description": master.description

"Image": lookup.value (link via lookup.parentUID and master.UID and filter for an specific attributeID like "2388")

"TDS": lookup.value (link via lookup.parentUID and master.UID and filter for an specific attributeID like "2547")

"PDS": lookup.value (link via lookup.parentUID and master.UID and filter for an specific attributeID like "157")

I assume for someone who's familiar with talend this is a dummy question but as i learn talend by doing and try an error and never had this usecase befor i have no clue on what to do after trying/searching for 6 hours.

Labels (2)
11 Replies
LennartSchulte
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Or do i need to use the LookUp File multiplte times to have one manual lookup with a fixed filter on attributeID as much as i want to extract attributes from the lookup?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lennart Schulte

How to know the specific attributeID used for the filter for each record of Master file? Can you please explain it?

Regards

Shong

LennartSchulte
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

​Hi Shong,

many​ thanks for your answer.

Th​e attributeID ​is given/defined manually. The task is to select for an horizontal file (a specific column) a specific attribute value out of an vertical list which contains all attributes of the product.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am afraid I can't still understand what are your expected result, it is better to explain your requirement with some example data. @Lennart Schulte​ ,

"Image": lookup.value (link via lookup.parentUID and master.UID and filter for an specific attributeID like "2388")

vikramk
Creator II
Creator II

If you need the result only for the specific attributeID then, you can perform normal left join in tmap. Then create a variable in tmap with filter conditions for required values and then map this variable to your output column in tmap

LennartSchulte
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

i'm afraid i don't know how to do that. can you provide me a link on how to do that? google wasn't able to help me with this either 😉

LennartSchulte
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I hope the screen helps. so i want to fill an horizontal sheet in the end based on a vertical list of attributes containing all attributes of a product (in this case ID 72). and from this big list of attributes i just want to pick specific ones.0693p000008vGr9AAE.png

LennartSchulte
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I hope the screen helps. so i want to fill an horizontal sheet in the end based on a vertical list of attributes containing all attributes of a product (in this case ID 72). and from this big list of attributes i just want to pick specific ones.0693p000008vGr9AAE.png

vikramk
Creator II
Creator II

I think this you tube video might help for your requirement for creating variable in tmap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbPU7VVu-fU

Please use filter logics in variables for each value and assign it to your output column.

please refer below document for more on tmap:

https://help.talend.com/reader/wDRBNUuxk629sNcI0dNYaA/FzPVnU_ZpTs4X4nh4BfGaQ