Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing a new Enhanced File Management feature in Qlik Cloud! GET THE DETAILS!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rwnetwork
Creator
Creator

Exception: For input string "NULL"

Hello Community,

I have a new error in my ETL job.  I have posted several snapshots for easy reference.

This is my new error:

tMap_1 For input string: "NULL"
Exception in component tMap_1
java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "NULL"

I believe it is due to the literal NULL values that are coming through on my input .txt file, but I've been known to be wrong. 0683p000009MACn.png

There are 3 columns that will have NULL values. I am using a tmap for transformation to write to our idb2 table using a tas400output component.

Suggestions on why this error is being thrown?  Any other information I can provide?

Thank you in advance!

Michelle

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
manodwhb
Champion II
Champion II

@mmiller32 , You need to handle for "NULL" sting value getting in the filed by using something like below.

"NULL".eqauls(row1.col)?null:row1.col

View solution in original post

4 Replies
tnewbie
Creator II
Creator II

Probably because you are trying to do a data type conversion or formatting of data on one of those columns where the value is null. On the other hand if you can share your tmap design and file schema, it will help a bit

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Michelle,

I guess you are getting input data as "NULL" string instead of actual null. Could you please double check your input area of the job and how data is getting loaded?

Another chance is that you are trying to do a null comparison and instead of doing null check using Relational ISNULL function, you are trying to match "NULL" string. If you are looking to check NULL, you need to use below function.

Relational.ISNULL(row1.input_column) ? true_condition : false_condition

Warm Regards,
Nikhil Thampi

Please appreciate our Talend community members by giving Kudos for sharing their time for your query. If your query is answered, please mark the topic as resolved

Raghuram_Puram
Contributor III
Contributor III

@mmiller32 in your tMap you might be using a Java function in expression builder for different columns.

For all these columns perform Null Handling before the actual java function. Also check the data types, Numeric may not accept Null values.

Cheers

manodwhb
Champion II
Champion II

@mmiller32 , You need to handle for "NULL" sting value getting in the filed by using something like below.

"NULL".eqauls(row1.col)?null:row1.col