Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YPMAL
Contributor III
Contributor III

How to convert of epoch time to human readable format

I have epoch time in my file. It may normal or in miliseconds. Please tell how to convert these epoch times in normal human readable format.

Epoch time examples:

1) Normal               1492430625             Indian Local time   nearly same as below time

2)In miliseconds     1492430501465       Indian Local time Mon Apr 17 2017 17:31:41

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

You will need to know which value you are working with. The code I am giving you will work with time in milliseconds. In order to convert the other time unit you described, just multiply it by 1000.

Long myTimeAsLong = 1492430501465L;
SimpleDateFormat sdf = new SimpleDateFormat("dd/MM/yyyy");
System.out.println(sdf.format(new Date(myTimeAsLong)));

...or if you wanted to create a routine for this, you could use the following static function...

public static String getDateFromEpoch(Long timeAsLong, String javaDatePattern){

String returnVal = null;

if(timeAsLong!=null){
        	SimpleDateFormat sdf = new SimpleDateFormat(javaDatePattern);
        	returnVal = sdf.format(new Date(timeAsLong)); 	
        }
    	return returnVal;
    }

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

You will need to know which value you are working with. The code I am giving you will work with time in milliseconds. In order to convert the other time unit you described, just multiply it by 1000.

Long myTimeAsLong = 1492430501465L;
SimpleDateFormat sdf = new SimpleDateFormat("dd/MM/yyyy");
System.out.println(sdf.format(new Date(myTimeAsLong)));

...or if you wanted to create a routine for this, you could use the following static function...

public static String getDateFromEpoch(Long timeAsLong, String javaDatePattern){

String returnVal = null;

if(timeAsLong!=null){
        	SimpleDateFormat sdf = new SimpleDateFormat(javaDatePattern);
        	returnVal = sdf.format(new Date(timeAsLong)); 	
        }
    	return returnVal;
    }
YPMAL
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for this solution.. I have used below mentioned function directly in tMap worked fine for me....

(row1.epochtime == null || row1.epochtime =="") ? null : (new java.util.Date(Long.parseLong(row1.epochtime) * 1000) );

Where row1.epochtime has string of epoch time in seconds ...

Function returns time in "date" format
Anonymous
Not applicable

I need to convert "1900-01-01T00:00:00" into epoch time. It will be helpful if you have the solution? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mustafamunna 

Hi,

I have answered your query in your post below. 

https://community.talend.com/t5/Design-and-Development/How-to-convert-Date-Format-into-epoch-time-by...

Warm Regards,
Nikhil Thampi

Please appreciate our Talend community members by giving Kudos for sharing their time for your query. If your query is answered, please mark the topic as resolved