Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
castiellll
Contributor III
Contributor III

How to manage multiple changes with CDC technology

Hello,

I have been thinking about the way to manage multiple changes when using CDC.

Explanation :

Let's say we have a really bad model with 2 tables users and users_status (1-1). We want to merge them into one table dim.users in a DWH.

CDC is activated for both tables so we can track changes in both and our Talend flow has the user table with an inner join (lookup) on the user_status table (very simple).

The problem is when there is a change in only one of the tables ? how do you manage the fact that if a changes happens in only one of these tables and not in the other ??

Example:

table user :  (id, name)  --> (1,'toto'), (2,'titi')

table user_status (id_user, status) --> (1,true), (2,false)

if we change the status of 'titi' to true then the CDC will get (2,true) for the user_status change table but nothing for the user change table. So our Talend flow won't update anything.

Maybe am I missing something in the CDC configuration ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

Sofiane.

Labels (3)
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

We are supposing that you have referred this online user guide about:TalendHelpCenter:Change Data Capture scenarios

The cdc tables only store the change type and primary key. This is a limitation of our current solution, how ever the triggers and components could be customized to save every change record.

Best regards

Sabrina

castiellll
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hello,

Thank you for you answer but this is not answering my question.

My CDC is managed in the DB not in Talend. The question is more about a best architecture practice.

Good day.