Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Import items not showing any talend job

Hi,
We are trying to import an old code developed couple of years ago, into Talend Open Studio v5.5.  Following are the steps that I followed,
1. Right click on Job Designs
2. Chose 'Import Items'
3. Chose 'Select Archive File' and selected the zip file
4. In the objects window, it is not listing any actual etl jobs.
There is no error displayed in the error window. The jobs are running fine though. We are unable to open the code and make modifications to it. It would be very helfpul if somebody can guide us in resolving this issue.
PS: The original code is not available.
Thanks,
Sadagopan
Labels (2)
8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Are you sure the archive was created with Export Items?
Have you tried unzipping it to see what is in it?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi, Thanks for the quick response. 
I do find objects like project, jar file, item files and properties files. Is there anything in specific that I should look for? We do not know how the export was made at that time. 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

If you have item and properties files, it may be possible to sort. There are several ways to do this (and for me to talk you through it), but the easiest thing for you to do is to export a job from your current project as a zip. Then open the zip file and compare the file/folder structure to the file/folder structure of the jobs you want to import. Ensure that they are same, zip it up and import that file. 
Basically, if you extract the contents of the zip file you currently have, you should see a folder with the name of the job. Open that. Inside that you will see a folder called "items". Open that. Inside that folder should be a single folder by the name of the project. Copy that folder, zip it and try to import that one.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I compared the archive with the one that is importing successfully. The archive that is importing well has the folders 'metadata' and 'process' and talend.project file under Items folder. The problematic archive has a folder called 'code' instead of 'process'. 
The item file under the archive that is opening is named after the project itself. ex. extract_job.item. Whereas, the item files under the 'Code' folder in the problematic archive are named after functions. example, DataOperation_0_1.item, StringHandling_0_1.item etc.,.
I also tried zipping the folder within the "items" folder and tried importing that. But no luck. 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Does the problematic archive not have a "process" folder with item and properties files named after the job you want to recreate? If the answer is no, I am not sure you can do this.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Yes. It doesn't have "process" folder with items and property files. 
But quick question, those are not required for the job execution? This job is running fine as of now. We are only not able to import it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Talend is a Java code generator. Talend's source files are the item and properties files. These are essentially XML files. It then generates Java, compiles it and generates Jar files. What you have is the compiled job. Sometimes (if you set it up to do so) Talend will also add the source files (Talend source files) into the job that is built. If you don't have those source files, the job will work, but it will not be able to be imported into Talend.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Got it. Thanks for your help rhall