Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Serendipity
Contributor II
Contributor II

Iterate API calls based on count divided by pagesize

I'm looking for some help on a strategy here - I've got an API that offers pagination by using a separate endpoint to return a count of records, which you then use to calculate how many pages based on the pagesize, which is a max of 100.

So, I'm needing to make a call to one endpoint /records/count and then take that result and divide by 100 for the page size. So if the count is 347, I need to add the page argument to the /records endpoint for each page.

I'm not sure how to take the count value from the API result and then iterate through to use it as a variable in the URL Query parameters.

Labels (3)
8 Replies
Serendipity
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Made some progress on at least getting the count value, but I feel like this flow is overcomplicated:

0695b00000HsRvlAAF.png 

Here is the result of the tREST:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<resource><count>482</count></resource>|

I get having to convert the string that returns to a document with tConvert, but do I really have to ExtractXML and then XMLMap, I tried so many variations on just going from tConvert to tXML map, but I never got the value.

Serendipity
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks for that info, that sounds like it would be very helpful.

However - I'm not seeing any links attached, but I'll see if I can search them out in your other posts.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why you convert the string result to a document? You can extract the count value from the string result using tExtractXMLField.

Serendipity
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I'm struggling to get all the schema aligned and proper, so that helps alleviate the errors I kept getting until I can better understand that setup.

When I connect without the convert node, I get an error about converting an integer to a string, even though the field I'm looking at isn't an integer, or I'll get an error that body cannot be resolved or is not a field. So, basically through trial and error I found something that worked.

Between trying to get this project working, I'm going through tutorials so hopefully I'll get a better understanding of what I'm doing wrong with all the schema settings.

Serendipity
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

So, I've got my count from the API /count endpoint

I've converted it to an integer so I can calculate total pages needed.

I'm thinking I take the calculated value, set a global variable, then use a tLoop to iterate through? However, I'm not figuring out how to reference the global variable within the tLoop, then how in turn to increment until the total page count is done.

I'm trying this loop setup:

0695b00000HsvdQAAR.pngIn this workflow:

0695b00000HsvdpAAB.pngSo, the value I set in the tXMLMap_8 pageCount output is what I want to use as the variable in the loop. In this instance, pageCount is 4, and I want the loop to start at 1, and then increase until 4, and the variable I'm using in the URL would then need to be updated with each iteration.

0695b00000HsvesAAB.png 

Here's the tSetGlobalVar:

0695b00000HsvgKAAR.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

one quick question, is tLoop used to iterate another API call? i see one issue about getting the value of global variable for query parameter "page", the double quotes should remove.

(String)globalMap.get("page")

Regards

Shong

Serendipity
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I am trying to use tLoop to take the "pageCount" variable that I'm calculating, and use that as the upper limit of the For loop.

I have the "pageCount" value showing in a table in a log to verify it's there:

.-----+---------.

| tLogRow_15  |

|=----+--------=|

|value|key   |

|=----+--------=|

|4  |pageCount|

'-----+---------'

0695b00000HthpAAAR.pngBut when run the tLoop I get

Detail Message: The operator <= is undefined for the argument type(s) int, Object

Anonymous
Not applicable

change the To expression to:

(Integer)globalMap.get("pageCount.value")