Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mayot
Contributor III
Contributor III

Special characters in column names with Talend

Hello,

I saw this old post which indicates that the hyphen are not handle in the column names by Talend.

https://community.talend.com/t5/Design-and-Development/resolved-special-characters-in-field-names-CS...

However, I notice that currently it works.

My question : does it works (with any tricks) with the % character ?

I get this error: ORA-00911: invalid character

Thanks

Labels (2)
6 Replies
abhi90
Creator II
Creator II

Hi @Mayot,

No it will not work. U can try and Test. as far as my knowledge it will not work

Mayot
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I tested, and actually the hyphen - is replaced by an underscore in Talend schema. But in the schema of the DB (in Talend and in Oracle) the hyphen - exist. It's the same with the sign percent %, it appears in the schema of the DB (Talend + Oracle) but it's replaced by an underscore _ in Talend mapping.

When I insert data in a column with the hyphen sign in his name, it works (I don't have any error). On the other hand, when I insert data in a column with the sign percent % in his name, it doesnt work.

I will have to test with parenthesis, square brackets, currency signs etc. In the meantime I renamed my column with PCT instead of % in Oracle.

abhi90
Creator II
Creator II

Do that and let me know @Mayot

Mayot
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I already test like I said in my precedent post.

create table TEST (
"Column-with-hyphen" varchar2(2),
"Column_with_underscore" varchar2(2),
"Column_with_%_PCT" varchar2(2)
);

You can try to create this table, it will work in Oracle : Table TEST créé(e).

But when I import the schema in Talend, the hyphen will not be an issue, but the % will.

Screenshot in Oracle :

0683p000009LzgT.png

Screenshot in Talend, as you can see, the Column name has been modified by Talend (the special char became an underscore), but the "Db Column" is fine.

In my job, when I insert data in table that has a column name with a hyphen, it works. But when there's an % it won't work. Don't know why however.

0683p000009LzgY.png

TEST.PNG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

How did it work for you? I'm using Big data and the TmongoDBinput component but it still won't let me use special characters.

Cheers,

John

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guys,

I have found out how to do it, You have to export your XML schema and edit the encoding type for that file, from 8 -> 16
and then you add the hyphen to the column name as well as the output column name.

Works for me now thanks.

John