Skip to main content
Announcements
July 15, NEW Customer Portal: Initial launch will improve how you submit Support Cases. IMPORTANT DETAILS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_AnonymousUser
Creator III
Creator III

TALEND TOOL ADVANTAGE

Hi
I have very basic question, if i am using vertica database for data warehousing, by using the tool i can load the table (internally tool uses copy command) and even in our code(any language) we can fire the same copy command to load the data.
What DIFFERENCE or ADVANTAGE does tool give over this ,in open source edition of tool , i can't run multiple instance of same job but where in case of code we can run multiple threads of single job .
And in case if i have created a job to accept file with defined number of columns , but in case the source file comes with header and less than the fields defined in the job the tool throws an error ,but in coding we can use "AWK" to handle it .

What i want is what tool can do that we can't achieve in coding in short period of time , why should we choose tool rather than coding the ETL operation ??
what is the strong point of tool compared to hand coding ????
Labels (2)
7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi banu,
Generally speaking, you can obtain the following benefits using ETL tool than hard coding:
1. ETL tool allows you to quickly develop project to reduce development time and improve development efficiency.
2. Mature ETL tool can ensure product performance and practicality, as it has been through a lot of testing by the users around the world, has been updated and improved all the time.
3. ETL tool is usually GUI based, and it is more easy to use, not all members in a team has rich development experience, to learn a ETL tool is easier than learning a development language.
4. More connectors are available for integrating with different data sources, such file, database, sap, salesforce, FTP etc, you can achieve a ETL process quickly with ETL tool, for example, read data from a text file and insert them into Vertica database.
tFileInputDelimited--main--tVerticaOutput
However, it will take you more time if you hard code to achieve it.
i can't run multiple instance of same job but where in case of code we can run multiple threads of single job .

I don't understand why you can't run multiple instance of same job?
And in case if i have created a job to accept file with defined number of columns , but in case the source file comes with header and less than the fields defined in the job the tool throws an error ,but in coding we can use "AWK" to handle it .

You can use tLogCatcher to capture the error and log them to a file or database, Talend aslo supports for transaction management, commit the changes if there is no error at the end of job or rollback the changes if there has an error during the job execution.
Shong
_AnonymousUser
Creator III
Creator III
Author

hi shong,
Thanks for your information ,then what about copy command ??
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi
The COPY command is designed for bulk loading data into a Vertica database. It reads data from a delimited text file and inserts tuples either into the WOS (memory) or directly into the ROS (disk). There is a component called tVerticaOutputBulkExec in Talend performs the COPY command.
Shong
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi , i need to know about the advantages of talend  0683p000009MACn.png
Anonymous
Not applicable

i am using talend open studio version" Talend-Tools-Studio-20150508_1414-V5.6.2".we can buy any licence for this for using long period(X years).
and can you please help me how is will working salesforce data is automatically updated to mysql server.
please follow the attached screenshots.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ayat zhari,
Please see more description about Talend Product
https://www.talend.com/why-talend
Best regards
Sabrina
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi sriramsfdc
can you please help me how is will working salesforce data is automatically updated to mysql server.

Actually, talend support for CDC (Change Data Capture) feature which is used to  capture only the changed source data and to move it from a source to a target system(s) in real time, however, salesforce is not list in supported DB list
TalendHelpCenter:CDC architectural overview
TalendHelpCenter0683p000009MACJ.pngatabase support for CDC
For your job requirment, you can set a trigger on your job(update your salesforce data into mysql server).
Best regards
Sabrina