Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

When and Why To Use tExternalSortRow?

Hi,
We already have sorting option using tSortRow. And if I have to perform sorting on aggregated values then I would go for tAggregateSortRow. I was just wondering where this tExternalSortRow could be useful? Also, what should I mention External command "sort" path field when using this component.
I can see in the advanced settings, it asks for the Temporary directory. Does it perform faster than tSortRow?
Labels (2)
8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,
Usually, tExternalSortRow uses an external sort application to sort input data based on one or several columns, by sort type and order.
Here is the online document about:TalendHelpCenter:tExternalSortRow

Best regards
Sabrina
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Can you please let me know what could be the example of external sort application ? I have already checked the document but it doesn't have any scenario mentioned. It's just pointing to tSortRow scenarios.
Viswa560
Contributor
Contributor

It will sort the data based on a custom sort... like u can sort data how you want other than the options available in the talend regular tsortRow
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hey, Can anyone let me know what will be the format of the external sort code that needs to be attached?
As there is only a single option to give the External command "sort" path for the sorting code I am not sure how Talend is going to use it.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hello,

We created a workitem jira issue about your issue:https://jira.talendforge.org/browse/TDI-39125 and will keep you posted.

Thanks for your time.

Best regards

Sabrina

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hey, Thanks for replying, but I see that the issue is closed already and it does not look like it is related to tExternalSort. Can you please elaborate and help me with its usage?
I have gone through the documentation here but it does not mention anything about the format of the sorting code that needs to be added externally.
Thanks for help 0683p000009MACn.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hello,

It is still in ''New" status.

0683p000009M6U4.png

Best regards

Sabrina

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hello,

The tExternalSortRow is a very old component. We need our component developers to clarify the function of its properties.

Best regards

Sabrina