Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

jxl cannot be resolved to a type

Hi,
I'm running Talend Open Studio for Big Data 6.3 (64bit version) and trying to import from an Excel file (97-2003 format) into a SQL Server DB. When I try to run the job I get the following error message:
Execution failed : Job compile errors 

At least job "Excel_Import_to_Epicor" has a compile errors, please fix and export again.
Error Line: 1393
Detail Message: jxl cannot be resolved to a type
There may be some other errors caused by JVM compatibility. Make sure your JVM setup is similar to the studio.

I also tried to create a  Metadata - File Excel  but when I get to step 3 I get the following error message:
Error: Could not find or load main class epicor_audit.shadowfileinputtodelimitedoutput_0_1.ShadowFileInputToDelimitedOutput
Preview error. Some settings must be changed.
Note: Preview errors are generally due to a wrong encoding setting.
org.talend.designer.runprocess.shadow.ShadowFilePreview.preview(ShadowFilePreview.java:90)
org.talend.metadata.managment.ui.utils.ShadowProcessHelper.getCsvArray(ShadowProcessHelper.java:383)
org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.metadata.connection.files.excel.ExcelFileStep2Form$PreviewProcessor.nonUIProcessInThread(ExcelFileStep2Form.java:1042)
org.talend.commons.ui.swt.thread.SWTUIThreadProcessor$1.run(SWTUIThreadProcessor.java:74)

This error message is more detailed so I hope it helps isolate the issue.

I can see the data correctly in step 2 but get an error in step 3 when previewing the data.
I'm using Java v1.8 update 121
Labels (3)
12 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,
I'm running Talend Open Studio for Big Data 6.3 (64bit version) and trying to import from an Excel file (97-2003 format) into a SQL Server DB.

Did you get this issue on a 97-2003 format excel file only or all excel files? Could you please show us your tfileinputexcel component setting screenshot?
Best regards
Sabrina
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Sabrina,
I got the issue with all Excel formats. After the 97-2003 format failed I tried the 2007 format. I also tried to import it as a CSV file and still got same error.

From the first time I received the error I double checked if I was missing any modules. I installed the required third-party libraries and when I run the job I get the following error message instead of what I originally posted:
Execution failed : Job compile errors 
At least job "Excel_Import_to_Epicor" has a compile errors, please fix and export again.
Error Line: 1401
There may be some other errors caused by JVM compatibility. Make sure your JVM setup is similar to the studio.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,
We cannot repro this issue on our side.
Have you ever successfully executed ANY job in your Talend Open Studio for Big Data 6.3 (64bit version)? Did you install your talend studio completely? 
Best regards
Sabrina
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

No, I wasn't able to successfully execute any jobs.
The Big Data v6.3 I downloaded wasn't an install, I just had to extract it. I downloaded the Data Integration v6.3 which did an install but I also get the same error message.
This is the Big Data v6.3: TOS_BD-20161216_1026-V6.3.1.zip
This is the Data Integration v6.3 I also tried: TOS_DI-Win32-20161216_1026-V6.3.1.exe
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,
Could you please re-unzip (7 zip, Winrar)your TOS_BD-20161216_1026-V6.3.1.zip  file and install it on your machine completely to see if your studio works?
TOS_DI-Win32-20161216_1026-V6.3.1.exe

You need to download TOS_DI-20161216_1026-V6.3.1.zip file from talend website.
https://www.talend.com/download/talend-open-studio/
Best regards
Sabrina
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,
Could you please re-unzip (7 zip, Winrar)your TOS_BD-20161216_1026-V6.3.1.zip  file and install it on your machine completely to see if your studio works?
TOS_DI-Win32-20161216_1026-V6.3.1.exe

You need to download TOS_DI-20161216_1026-V6.3.1.zip file from talend website.
Best regards
Sabrina

I tried the link but I'm only getting the TOS_DI-Win32-20161216_1026-V6.3.1.exe file. It doesn't give me the option to download the TOS_DI-20161216_1026-V6.3.1.zip file. I'll try and re-unzip the TOS_BD-20161216_1026-V6.3.1.zip.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Sabrina,
I managed to get it to work. I forgot to mention that I had Studio DI v6.1 before but received a new PC and installed the latest v6.3. I was pointing the working folder to my old project folder but this time I imported it. This seemed to work!
Do you always need to import your old projects? I didn't think there would be a difference between v6.1 and v6.3.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,
Usually, we export our old project from old studio and then import it into an upper version.
Best regards
Sabrina
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I am also having same issue. i have TOS v.6.3 when i am exporting data to FileOutputExcel from ExtractXMLFeild.