Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing a new Enhanced File Management feature in Qlik Cloud! GET THE DETAILS!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

[resolved] Converting Object(BLOB) to String

Hi,
i'm trying to convert an Object field (Blob type) into String... actually i'm looking for a talend equivalent for "convert(column using utf8)".
That works in my case, but i have several fields to convert using talend... it there an alternative?
Thanks!
Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

This cannot work because if you have in the schema the java type Object you will get a java.sql.Clob object and that cannot be cast to String.
Please edit the schema of the table and set the CLOB columns to the Java type String. 
In the tMap it is to late. You have to force the database input component to get the value as String and not as java.sql.Clob object. 

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Did you tried to set as Java type in the Talend schema for these kind of columns the type "String" ?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi jlolling,
i used "(String)row1.column" in tmap but only gives me random characters
Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

This cannot work because if you have in the schema the java type Object you will get a java.sql.Clob object and that cannot be cast to String.
Please edit the schema of the table and set the CLOB columns to the Java type String. 
In the tMap it is to late. You have to force the database input component to get the value as String and not as java.sql.Clob object. 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

UPDATE:
i've set the Java type to String and same results
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Please show me a screenshot. I do the same and have problems with it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hey finally WORKS!!!
i've change the Schema as you said and it works...
Thank you so much
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I need to transfer clob data type from oracle to text file. in mapping we are using tjavarow and toraclerow. and we have to pass this column from tjavarow to toraclerow. I tried a lot but could not get solution.

Kindly help.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hello,

If you are working with Oracle, you can use tOracleInput to read the CLOB column (Column Type can be set as Object).

Best regards

Sabrina

prbrganguly
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Several times I tried to transfer the Oracle BLOB data to MEDIUMBLOB of MYSQL using customer components tLOBDownload , not working , if any configuration , please help.

Thanks

Prabir