Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kbmartin
Contributor
Contributor

Error on file import

I am getting this (seemingly common) error attempting to build file metadata. I am running Talend Studio 7.3.1 on Oracle Java 8, Windows 10. I have confirmed that the source file is encoded as UTF-8. This happens on (at least) Excel, json, and delimited metadata:

Error Message: The type java.lang.Object cannot be resolved. It is indirectly referenced from required .class files

Preview error. Some settings must be changed.

Note: Preview errors are generally due to a wrong encoding setting.

org.talend.designer.runprocess.shadow.ShadowFilePreview.preview(ShadowFilePreview.java:90)

org.talend.metadata.managment.ui.utils.ShadowProcessHelper.getCsvArray(ShadowProcessHelper.java:383)

org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.metadata.connection.files.delimited.DelimitedFileStep2Form$PreviewProcessor.nonUIProcessInThread(DelimitedFileStep2Form.java:1309)

org.talend.commons.ui.swt.thread.SWTUIThreadProcessor$1.run(SWTUIThreadProcessor.java:74)

This is the output of "java -version" (I have tried running Talend under both Zulu Java 11 and Oracle Java, the result is always the same):

java version "1.8.0_281"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_281-b09)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.281-b09, mixed mode)

This is my .ini file:

-vm C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_281\bin

-vmargs

-Xms512m

-Xmx4096m

-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8

-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.8

-XX:+UseG1GC

-XX:+UseStringDeduplication

-XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=512m

Any help is appreciated. I understand this is usually a Java version issue, but I don't know what else I can do. I have tried multiple ostensibly supported versions of Java already.

=Keith

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

What is your JDK Compliance level in Studio Java Compiler preferences? 

Go to JAVA --> INSTALLED JREs - to find the version of Java used by Studio and you can also alter the settings here.

Best regards

Sabrina

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

What is your JDK Compliance level in Studio Java Compiler preferences? 

Go to JAVA --> INSTALLED JREs - to find the version of Java used by Studio and you can also alter the settings here.

Best regards

Sabrina

kbmartin
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thank you; this seems ot have been the answer. I've found numerous references to updating the Windows JAVA_HOME and PATH environment varialbes but this was the first one that pointed to the preferences settings in Studio itself.