Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
diazsmiedts
Contributor III
Contributor III

Talend compatibilty with MacOS 10.15

Hi, in a matter of days the new macOS version will be released (10.15) and I'm wondering if you tested the Talend 7.1 and 7.2 instalments already on the beta versions of this macOS release? Last year there were major issues with Talend on 10.14 as the tMap no longer functioned and crashed the Studio when clicking OK. 

As the official compatibility still only mentions macOS versions up to 10.13, I'm afraid a similar bug/issue will occur with the newest release as well. 

Please confirm you (Talend) or someone else in the community tested the Talend (Open) Studio versions for this new release (beta edition) already and that it is OK to upgrade my Macbook later this month to the newest and most secure version of the OS. 

Thank you

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jd101k2000
Contributor II
Contributor II

First thing to say is that the MacOS installer version of Talend will not work - it is 32-bit and 32-bit apps do not work on Catalina.

So the first thing is to use the .zip version.

Once downloaded, unzip it.

Copy the entire folder to your Applications folder. You will find the cocoa app inside the Studio subfolder.

When you try to run this you will get the error, 'executable launcher was unable to locate its companion shared library'

From jira link provided for by @xdshi, the solution suggested by Nicolas Rousseau worked :
https://jira.talendforge.org/browse/TINSTL-1000?focusedCommentId=453438&page=com.atlassian.jira.plug...

So, in terminal :

/path-to-your-talend-open-studio-folder$ xattr -d com.apple.quarantine *

You can then open up Talend and let the testing begin 🙂

View solution in original post

19 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Please refer to this online installation guide for V 7.2 about:TalendHelpCenter:Compatible Operating Systems.

In the documentation we provide a list of platforms that are supported, in the sense that we do provide an SLA and technical support for them. This doesn't mean other (non-listed) platform will not work but simply we won't necessarily be equipped to help you with any issue you may face with them.
Best regards

Sabrina

diazsmiedts
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for the reply Sabrina, but have you or the team actually installed the macOS 10.15 already (working public betas have been out for a couple of months) and checked if all is working fine in Talend Studio or not?

For security purposes, we should always upgrade asap to the next version.

I hate to be left with a non-operational system in regards to Talend if I complete the upgrade only to then notice another tMap issue or something similar like last year. And reverting back to an older version after an upgrade is no easy thing, so I would like a confirmation that it has been tested and Talend Studio works as expected on the soon to be released macOS Catalina.

Thank you for digging a bit deeper and getting me that confirmation

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

There is no a related jira issue for support for OSX 10.15. Could you please create a new feature jira issue on talend bug tracker? Please feel free to add your urgent requirement and comments in it.

Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Best regards

Sabrina

diazsmiedts
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for the JIRA suggestion Sabrina, I created the ticket

TUP-24556 - compatibility with macOS 10.15 Catalina

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can confirm it will not install under the GM seed released Oct 7
diazsmiedts
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you @MSJ for checking this and now taking the risk of no longer being able to use Talend Studio. 

@xdshi, I created a JIRA ticket for this 3 weeks ago and the status is still "new" and no-one at Talend seems to care about another year of not supporting upgraded macOS versions when they are released. Frankly I am appalled about the lack of interest of making sure your software keeps working. Beta editions have been available for months in a row, why doesn't the team look into these kinds of issues before the mass public is confronted with them? 

Please fix this ASAP

jd101k2000
Contributor II
Contributor II

First thing to say is that the MacOS installer version of Talend will not work - it is 32-bit and 32-bit apps do not work on Catalina.

So the first thing is to use the .zip version.

Once downloaded, unzip it.

Copy the entire folder to your Applications folder. You will find the cocoa app inside the Studio subfolder.

When you try to run this you will get the error, 'executable launcher was unable to locate its companion shared library'

From jira link provided for by @xdshi, the solution suggested by Nicolas Rousseau worked :
https://jira.talendforge.org/browse/TINSTL-1000?focusedCommentId=453438&page=com.atlassian.jira.plug...

So, in terminal :

/path-to-your-talend-open-studio-folder$ xattr -d com.apple.quarantine *

You can then open up Talend and let the testing begin 🙂

diazsmiedts
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you @jd101k2000 for offering this workaround, sounds similar to some previous installations I did but it still not really supporting "the rest of the world". Sorry, but if after 2 years the only official support is still stuck at version 10.13, something's off.

I will have to test myself as soon as I can, but also with previous versions (6.5 and 7.1) as I still support multiple clients working on with those set-ups. And it's not that Talend offers an easy in-place upgrade for on-premise TAC installations etc. Upgrading is a nightmare. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wondering is there any further update on the compatibility issue?