Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YPMAL
Contributor III
Contributor III

log 4j bug CVE-2021-44228- Urgently need to update log4j libraries for deployed jobs from talend 6.2.1

Hi,

We are using Talend 6.2.1 20160704_1411 version of talend running on our local servers.

As precautionary measure we need to update log4j library to avoid recent exploit named as CVE-2021-44228.

Can anyone tell me what measure can be taken to update log4j to

Log4j 2.15.0 or apply the recommended mitigations immediately ?

79 Replies
paula11
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi,

we use artifakt-repository nexus for Talend-Jobs. To mitigate the risk, we add the option (-Dlog4j2.formatMsgNoLookups=true) in the

%talend%/tac/Artifact-Repository-Nexus-3.x.x-01-win64\nexus-3.x.x-01\bin - nexus.vmoptions file.

After restart in nexus (Website) --> Systemstatus --> System Information --> (scroll down to system-properties) this Parameter appears.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello All,

Here comes new update in this response:

Publication Date: 12/16/2021

https://www.talend.com/security/incident-response/

If you have any further questions about this issue, please feel free to contact our support team.

Best regards

Sabrina

Anonymous
Not applicable

https://www.talend.com/security/incident-response/Talend is working to identify all modules in Talend affected and is working on a permanent solution. We should be able to provide your team with an official in-depth update in the coming days on the status of this issue.

One important note, Talend Cloud has been mitigated, along with all apps inside of itself (TMC, TDS/TDP, TDI, etc) and thus not affected by this CVE.

For a detailed list of affected products and the suggested mitigation steps, please visit https://www.talend.com/security/incident-response/

Fernandez
Creator II
Creator II

I'm using Talend Open Studio Data Integration.

Log4j is inactive in (in File > Edit Project Properties > Log4j).

But indeed the log4j librairies (log4j-api-2.12.1.jar / log4j-core-2.12.1.jar / log4j-slf4j-impl-2.12.1.jar) are embedded in the job build.

I just have to delete them from the servers where jobs are deployed ?

There will have no impact to jobs working ?

MPT
Contributor III
Contributor III

Even if Talend would say that there is no impact, I would still test it to be sure.

Si4
Contributor II
Contributor II

So I have a bunch of standalone Studio jobs. This is what I did to update them.

(1) Added the latest apache log4j release files to the /lib directory and deleted the older versions.

(2) Edited the launch script ( .bat .sh whatever you are using )

• replace any log4j v2 calls to the latest 2.17.0 version
  • replace any log4j v1 calls to the API redirectory ( log4j-1.2-api-2.17.0.jar ) and add the core and api files from 2.17.0 - this lets the v1 calls redirect to the latest 2.x

And that's it - tested all jobs and updated.

Yes it is messy but I scripted this ...

Fernandez
Creator II
Creator II

Hi Jean-François,

Did you get the answer to your question ?

I'm using also Talend Open Studio version 7.3.1 and Log4j is disabled in project settings.

But indeed the log4j librairies are embedded in the job build, I don't know why.

If Log4j is disabled in project settings, do we have only to delete log4j librairies in the job build ?

Thanks in advance

Jean-François
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

No I didn't. But we are going to do what you explain in your post using a daily script to remove the librairies from all our jobs.

Regards

Fernandez
Creator II
Creator II

Hi Si,

Do you have Log4j active in (in File > Edit Project Properties > Log4j) ?

If not, is it really useful to update librairies and scripts ?

Regards,

Fernandez
Creator II
Creator II

Hi Si,

It doesn't work for me.

In the .bat I'm calling today the librairies below:

• log4j-1.2.17.jar
  • log4j-to-slf4j-2.12.1.jar
  • slf4j-log4j12-1.7.25.jar

But I found only the new library below:

• log4j-to-slf4j-2.17.0.jar