Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
manta_dev
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Engine JSON API: GetDocList returns an empty list

Hello,

I have come across a problem while trying to connect to the a QS Enterprise server using the Qlik Engine JSON API and retrieve a list of all applications using the GetDocList method.

I connect to the server using a keystore with certificates and the connection is successful. Then, using a custom user (not admin), I am trying to retrieve a list of all apps that a user has access to, but the list returns empty. However, when I perform the same request using the Qlik Sense dev-hub, the response contains all applications on the server.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong or what I shall modify? I tried to assign RootAdmin security rule to the user I used for logging in, but with no success. Thanks for any suggestions.

Labels (5)
8 Replies
Damien_V
Support
Support

Hello @manta_dev 

Could you provide a sample of how your current code that is failing looks like ?

You are sending exactly the same JSON body as the one in the dev-hub ?

If the issue is solved please mark the answer with Accept as Solution.
manta_dev
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

First I connect to the QS Enterprise server creating a websocket, using certificates (this definitely works, because the websocket is created - otherwise some connection error would be thrown).

Then I simply send

{"handle": -1,"method": "GetDocList","params":[],"outKey": -1, "id": 1}

message to the server, to address

wss://<serverURL>:4747/app/

exactly the same as the dev-hub does. The only difference is that I have [] instead of {} at "params" argument, but dev-hub works the same if I put the [] in there as well.

The answer is a standard message with an empty list of applications.

This leads me to some unknown problem with privileges, I believe. When I do this on our development server it works flawlessly, but when I run this on customer's server, it doesn't work even when the userId+userDirectory used for logging in has RootAdmin privileges.

Can it have something to do with the fact that the client has got a multi-node Qlik Sense deployment?  As far as I know, there are 2 nodes running the QES, but I am not very familiar with this and how it could potentially affect everything.

If there is some more information that could help you with solving this issue, please let me know. I think I tried everything I know or that I could find and nothing works so far.

Damien_V
Support
Support

Helllo @manta_dev 

Did you specify a X-Qlik-User header on your request specifying as which user you want to run the request ?

If you use certificates to connect to the engine, then it's the user specified in X-Qlik-User that is taken as the user running the request, not the actual Windows user you're running the code with.

'X-Qlik-user': 'UserDirectory=DOMAIN;UserId=Administrator'
manta_dev
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

@Damien_V 

Yes, when I am creating a WebsocketClient instance, I explicitly set the header "X-Qlik-User" to value "UserId=(username used);UserDirectory=(customer's domain)".

The username used and customer's domain  are  the exact combination we tested in the dev-hub that returned the correct list of apps.

I believe that if this did not work, the websocket connection would not have been established at all.

Damien_V
Support
Support

@manta_dev 

Could you enable the Engine Traffic logs and check in there how does the request look exactly when received by the Qlik Sense server ?
https://community.qlik.com/t5/Support-Knowledge-Base/The-Qlik-Sense-Engine-Traffic-Log-level/ta-p/17...

Øystein_Kolsrud
Employee
Employee

Wild guess here... Is it a multi-node system? Perhaps there is an issue with you load balancing rules? If the dev-hub leads you to a different node than the one you are direct connecting to, then those rules could explain what you are seeing.

manta_dev
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

@Øystein_Kolsrud 

Yes, it is a multi-node system. Is there any way I can verify that this is the problem?

Øystein_Kolsrud
Employee
Employee

Well, you can always try to direct-connect to the other nodes and see if you get a different behavior. You could also do a REST call to the endpoint /qrs/app and see if you get a different result. That would give you the apps you can see in the context of the QMC (unless you specify otherwise) which I think should be different if the set of load balancing rules is really the cause here.