Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shir63
Contributor III
Contributor III

Calculating Year over Year

hi to all,

i would like to know what is the best way to create an automated KPI for YoY.

this is what i have for choosing 2 Qtrs for example:

count({< QuarterDateStart=$(vMaxDate) >}distinct [Lead Number])
/
count({<QuarterDateStart=$(vMaxDatePY) >}distinct [Lead Number])

but how do i handle choosing 3 Qtrs?? how can qlik know which qtrs are being selected?

thank you!

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rubenmarin

Any field that also filters by year should be explicitly excluded in set analysis of the last year:

count({<Year={$(vCY)}>}distinct [Lead Number])
/
count({<Year={$(vLY)},[Year-Quarter]>}distinct [Lead Number])

What is happening is that you select 2022-Q2, and the divisor doesn't have any data that has Year=2021 and Year-Quarter=2022-Q?

The other issue with this is to pick the date range to limit to 2nd quarter in last year.... and furthermore, what should be the last year if the user selects quarters from 2020-Q4 to 2022-Q1?

If there is a selector for year and another for quarter this is solved, if year-quarter slector is avaible more questions needs to be solved.

A workaround could be to use dates in set analysis.

vMaxDate = Max(Date);
vMinDate = Min(Date);
vMaxDate_LY = AddMonths($(vMaxDate),-12);
vMinDate_LY = AddMonths($(vMinDate),-12);

count({<Date={">=$(vMinDate)<=$(vMaxDate)"},Year,[Year-Quarter]>}distinct [Lead Number])
/
count({<Date={">=$(vMinDate_LY)<=$(vMaxDate_LY)"},Year,[Year-Quarter]>}distinct [Lead Number])

View solution in original post

4 Replies
rubenmarin

Hi, instead of QuarterDateStart you can use the Year field on set analysis, it will compare the quarter(s) selected on this year vs the last year.

count({<Year=$(vCY)>}distinct [Lead Number])
/
count({<Year=$(vLY)>}distinct [Lead Number])

vCY is = Max(YearField) or Year(Max(DateField))
vLY is = Max(YearField)-1 or Year(Max(DateField))-1

Shir63
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

thank you for your reply and time.

this works only when applying Year filter,

but when choosing "Year-Quarter" for example, the result is null "-".

do i need to modify the formula?

thanks,

rubenmarin

Any field that also filters by year should be explicitly excluded in set analysis of the last year:

count({<Year={$(vCY)}>}distinct [Lead Number])
/
count({<Year={$(vLY)},[Year-Quarter]>}distinct [Lead Number])

What is happening is that you select 2022-Q2, and the divisor doesn't have any data that has Year=2021 and Year-Quarter=2022-Q?

The other issue with this is to pick the date range to limit to 2nd quarter in last year.... and furthermore, what should be the last year if the user selects quarters from 2020-Q4 to 2022-Q1?

If there is a selector for year and another for quarter this is solved, if year-quarter slector is avaible more questions needs to be solved.

A workaround could be to use dates in set analysis.

vMaxDate = Max(Date);
vMinDate = Min(Date);
vMaxDate_LY = AddMonths($(vMaxDate),-12);
vMinDate_LY = AddMonths($(vMinDate),-12);

count({<Date={">=$(vMinDate)<=$(vMaxDate)"},Year,[Year-Quarter]>}distinct [Lead Number])
/
count({<Date={">=$(vMinDate_LY)<=$(vMaxDate_LY)"},Year,[Year-Quarter]>}distinct [Lead Number])

Shir63
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

thank you,

your solution worked for me with some adjustment.

I appreciate it!