Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adrian1979
Contributor
Contributor

Date Interval

I have a date 20211119.

It is read in as a integer, so I have converted it into a varchar using in the ETL to create a qvd file;

convert (varchar(10),creditapproveddate) as CAD_fmt

With this .qvd file I have translated it into a date using;

Date(Date#(CAD_fmt,'yyyymmdd'),'dd/mm/yyyy')

This appears to work, as I can use Year(Date(Date#(CAD_fmt,'yyyymmdd'),'dd/mm/yyyy')) to extract the year correctly.

Here's where things get a bit weird.

The month statement always returns 'Jan'.

And when I try to find the difference between Date(Date#(CAD_fmt,'yyyymmdd'),'dd/mm/yyyy') and Date(Now()) using Interval, I get results which I simply don't understand.

Is there a way to check that I have actually converted my field into a date?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Or
MVP
MVP

Sounds like you'd have an easier time if you just used MakeDate(left(date,4),mid(date,5,2),right(date,2)) or the numeric equivalent using mod() and div().

Or_0-1646304562493.png

In general, subtracting a date from another date will return the interval (in days), so if both of your dates are correct, this should behave consistently and as expected.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Or
MVP
MVP

Sounds like you'd have an easier time if you just used MakeDate(left(date,4),mid(date,5,2),right(date,2)) or the numeric equivalent using mod() and div().

Or_0-1646304562493.png

In general, subtracting a date from another date will return the interval (in days), so if both of your dates are correct, this should behave consistently and as expected.

Adrian1979
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thank you, that works a treat.  I just can't understand the logic of why though!