Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
b4Xt3r
Contributor
Contributor

Difference in sum

Hi,

I am migrating a QlikView dashboard to PBI, and I see that this formula is not a simple formula:

SUM(a*b) 

so if you have SUM(2*3) the result wont be 6 ... to get the six I need to use SUM(a)*Sum(b) ... so why doews  SUM(a*b)  is different? 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Vegar
MVP
MVP

It looks like you are aggregating both on dimension level an on total. Let me extend @Or's example.

Dim,a, b

X, 2, 3

X, 2, 2

Y, 5, 10

Y, 1, 30

A table with sum aggregations might look like this. 

Dim1, Sum(a), Sum(b), Sum(a)*Sum(b),Sum(a*b)

X, 4, 5,  20,  10

Y, 6, 40, 240, 80

Total, 10,45,450,90

Consider sum(a)*sum(b) as if you take the product of the row value of the two aggregations. Consider the sum(a*b) as the sum of a*b per data row

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Or
MVP
MVP

For the rows:

a, b

2, 3

5, 10

Sum(a*b) =(2*3) + (5*10) = 56

Sum(a) * sum(b) = (2+5) * (3+10) = 91

b4Xt3r
Contributor
Contributor
Author

here is the thing: I have this in Qlik

b4Xt3r_0-1630097893222.png

Result= SUM(A*B) but why? ... Result is the value that the client need so I need to understand to logic behind sum(a*b) :

sum({$<Indicador={'Estructura de la Deuda'}>} [Saldo al momento Sin Comisiones Dlls] * [Tasa Credito2])

Vegar
MVP
MVP

It looks like you are aggregating both on dimension level an on total. Let me extend @Or's example.

Dim,a, b

X, 2, 3

X, 2, 2

Y, 5, 10

Y, 1, 30

A table with sum aggregations might look like this. 

Dim1, Sum(a), Sum(b), Sum(a)*Sum(b),Sum(a*b)

X, 4, 5,  20,  10

Y, 6, 40, 240, 80

Total, 10,45,450,90

Consider sum(a)*sum(b) as if you take the product of the row value of the two aggregations. Consider the sum(a*b) as the sum of a*b per data row