Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
analyst101
Contributor II
Contributor II

Display dynamic grid based on Dimension field Year/Month

Hi,

I'm wanting to know how to create 2 grids, first one from the filter dropdown for year/month and the second one should dynamically display Year-1/Month.  pic and data file attached

in Tableau, I used a parameter filter and flags to calculate current value and calculated value for Year/month and Year-1/month.

Thanks in advance

Raj

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LRuCelver
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Like this?

LRuCelver_0-1709911267311.png

The two pivot tables are mostly identical. The top one shows values for the largest possible Date, while the bottom one shows values for the date 1 year prior to the largest possible date. Here are the expressions I've used for the titles:

=Max(Date)
=Date(AddYears(Max(Date),-1),'MMM YYYY')

You can find the same expressions as parts of the set analyses used for the measures in each chart:

{<Date={"$(=Max(Date))"}>}
{<Date={"$(=Date(AddYears(Max(Date),-1),'MMM YYYY'))"}>}

Apart from that the Measures are just using Sum() over the respective fields and are formatted as a number/currency.

In the script I loaded and transformed your data and added values for the Division 'Total'. Here is the full script:

Data:
NoConcatenate Load
	Category,
    Division,
    Date(Date#(Date, 'YYYYMM'), 'MMM YYYY') as Date,
    Numbers,
    Num#(Mid("Dollars Requested", 2), '#,##0') as "Dollars Requested";
Load
    Category,
    Division,
    Date,
    Numbers,
    "Dollars Requested"
From [lib://AttachedFiles/Summary dates and funding.csv]
(txt, utf8, embedded labels, delimiter is ',', msq);

Concatenate Load
    Category,
    Dual('Total', 99) as Division,	// I used 99 to make sure it would be last when sorting the Division Field
    Date,
    Sum(Numbers) as Numbers,
    Sum("Dollars Requested") as "Dollars Requested"
Resident Data
Group By Category, Date;

View solution in original post

5 Replies
LRuCelver
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Like this?

LRuCelver_0-1709911267311.png

The two pivot tables are mostly identical. The top one shows values for the largest possible Date, while the bottom one shows values for the date 1 year prior to the largest possible date. Here are the expressions I've used for the titles:

=Max(Date)
=Date(AddYears(Max(Date),-1),'MMM YYYY')

You can find the same expressions as parts of the set analyses used for the measures in each chart:

{<Date={"$(=Max(Date))"}>}
{<Date={"$(=Date(AddYears(Max(Date),-1),'MMM YYYY'))"}>}

Apart from that the Measures are just using Sum() over the respective fields and are formatted as a number/currency.

In the script I loaded and transformed your data and added values for the Division 'Total'. Here is the full script:

Data:
NoConcatenate Load
	Category,
    Division,
    Date(Date#(Date, 'YYYYMM'), 'MMM YYYY') as Date,
    Numbers,
    Num#(Mid("Dollars Requested", 2), '#,##0') as "Dollars Requested";
Load
    Category,
    Division,
    Date,
    Numbers,
    "Dollars Requested"
From [lib://AttachedFiles/Summary dates and funding.csv]
(txt, utf8, embedded labels, delimiter is ',', msq);

Concatenate Load
    Category,
    Dual('Total', 99) as Division,	// I used 99 to make sure it would be last when sorting the Division Field
    Date,
    Sum(Numbers) as Numbers,
    Sum("Dollars Requested") as "Dollars Requested"
Resident Data
Group By Category, Date;

analyst101
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you for this solution. Is it possible to keep the Date as a string and do manipulations on it? 

LRuCelver
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

It is certainly possible. But working with dates as strings just sucks. You can't use maths or smaller/greater comparisons but rather have to directly check for every e.g. month individually.

You could keep dates as integers in a "YYYYMMDD" format. This way adding or subtracting full years is relatively simple. Working with months, weeks or days is a bit more complicated however.

I don't see a reason not to format a date as such. You have access to all date functions and can choose the string representation of the date with a date format string.

analyst101
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hello, can I use a list filter to show the dates and let the user choose the Year/Month and then display the current year/month and previous year/month numbers to display dynamically instead of using the max(date) function?

Thank you for your responses thus far

LRuCelver
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

When you make a selection on the Data, the most recent/current date of your selection can be found using the Max(Date) function. The result adjusts dynamically to your selections.