Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
caiomartins
Contributor II
Contributor II

Filtering across multiple associated datasets

Hi all, 

I currently have a data model that has four tables as below, they are all associated by a common key: city.

The fields are quite different among these tables. However, all of them have two additional dimensions that we are interested in using them as filters being: Category and Subcategory

However, when using Table A.Category as a filter in the app. When then the user selects a category, the same is not automatically filtered for the metrics using table B, even though table B has exactly the same category values as table A. 

Capture.PNG

It does not make sense to concatenate these tables. Apart from the common dimensions, they are very different. 

I've tried to go around this problem by creating master measures and using functions such as:

if(WildMatch(TableB.Category,GetFieldSelections([TableA.Category])),Metric,))

However, the above only works if the selection is restricted to 1 category. Thus, now allowing for multiple selection or when no value is selected either. 

In addition, Subcategory also needs to work as a single filter applying to all the four tables.

Anyone would have any insight here on how to go around this issue, please?

Thank you very much!

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

That must be a limitation of the Data Manager?  I don't use the DM regularly. But if you switch to the script editor you should be able to fix that. 

-Rob

View solution in original post

3 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

How about removing the Table name prefix from the fields? Meaning, just name the field "Category" in all four tables. 

You will have a synthetic key, but it's a legitimate synkey. 

-Rob

caiomartins
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi @rwunderlich, thank you very much for your reply. 

I've tried that this morning, by changing the field names and then re-uploading the data. However, Qlik is not allowing me to use the same name for different tables. 

It keeps adding the table prefix to the tables and it says that I can't have the same name across multiple tables.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

That must be a limitation of the Data Manager?  I don't use the DM regularly. But if you switch to the script editor you should be able to fix that. 

-Rob