Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amr_qlik
Contributor
Contributor

Filtering by a number of rows

Hi,

I'm working with a very large dataset made up of millions of rows.  Is there a way to make a filter that shows 1,000,000 rows at a time when the filter is used?  So, filter selection 1 shows row 1 to 1,000,000, filter selection 2 shows row 1,000,001 to 2,000,000, and so on?  The dataset is in an almost constant state of flux as rows are being removed and added on a regular basis from the source qvd.  So, for example, 7 filter selection choices changing to 8 choices upon the number of rows going over 7,000,000 when the data is reloaded is a desired functionality. 

Is this possible?

Labels (2)
3 Replies
Or
MVP
MVP

You could add a field to your table along the lines of

Ceil(RowNo()/1000000) as Set_Number

But I would be very hesitant to use something like this because any aggregations will not be looking at the full dataset when the filter is used, which to me would be highly undesirable.

amr_qlik
Contributor
Contributor
Author

I should've clarified. 

The entire purpose of this application is to take the raw data, filter by certain values, then download Excel file(s) of the results, which is where my original question comes in since Excel files have issues opening when they have too many rows of data.

Or
MVP
MVP

The suggestion in the previous post should provide what you asked for, though of course the row numbers would change as the data changes.

You might also consider an ODAG app to achieve this, with one app storing the full data and another allowing users to pull subsets.