Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing a new Enhanced File Management feature in Qlik Cloud! GET THE DETAILS!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sebastian_Dec
Creator II
Creator II

First unique distinct values sorted by date

Hi I have a table with 50000 unique records for ArtId, I am trying to get one unique ArtId along with COD-TAU for the latest Year_Month.

Something like this:

ArtId DOS-COD COT-COD Month Year Year_Month
10069 1000 2 7 2021 2021.07
10069 1000 4 7 2022 2022.07
10069 1000 42 5 2023 2023.05
10069 1000 40 7 2023 2023.07

The result for this record should be:

10069 1000 40 7 2023 2023.07

I try use FirstValue() and FirstSortedValue() function but I always end up with 37 records (as many as there are unique records for "COT-COD",  instead of e.g. 50000 unique records for ArtId.

Dossie1000_tmp:
Load
    FirstValue(ArtId) as ArtId,
    //FirstSortedValue(ArtId, Year_Month),
    //"DOS-COD",
    "COT-COD",
    Year_Month
    //Month, 
    //Year
Resident DataFakturyTable
Group By Year_Month, "COT-COD"

What I do wrong?

Thanks & Regards,
Please close the thread by marking correct answer & give likes if you like the post.
Labels (6)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

Your table-data are more granular as your intended group by - therefore you couldn't reach your results. This means you need at least one step more, maybe with:

t: load ArtId, DOS_COD, COT_COD, YearMonth from Source;
    inner join(t) load ArtId, max(YearMonth) as YearMonth resident t group by ArtId;

I suggest to create YearMonth as number and not as string - in this case here  a string and using maxstring() instead of max() may work but there are surely further measurements where a string would be a disadvantage.

View solution in original post

Sebastian_Dec
Creator II
Creator II
Author

First of all, I would like to thank @BrunPierre , @Lech_Miszkiewicz , @Or very much for Your help, especially You @marcus_sommer .

After some digging in the code, I managed to divide the unique values for DOS-COD 1000 and those other than 1000, while for DOS-COD 1000 the value with the largest date (as a number) is taken into account.

I paste my code below and mark  as the second solution if someone wants to have a copy/paste format. It can be improved, for example, to take ArtId from DOC-COD <> 1000 by NumDate, but I don't have the strength or need for that... 

//the Faktury table is a bit of a jumble and gluing together many tables, there is no special tab code apart from: Num([HVE-DATFAC]) as NumDate,
Faktury_Calosc:
Load
DostawaSklep,
NoFaktury,
ArtId, //Article ID
WartoscNettoNaFakturze,
MiesiącFaktury, //MonthInvoices
RokFaktury, //YearInvoice
NumDate, 
NazwaDostawcy,
DostawcaId,
Pogr_kod1,
FakturaKorygująca,
"MBF-COD", 
"MBF-LIB"
Resident Faktury;

STORE Faktury_Calosc INTO [lib://QlikContainers\Prod\QlikRaporty\2.QVD\Faktury_Calosc.qvd]
(qvd);

Dossie1000_tmp_tmp: 
load 
    ArtId, 
    "DOS-COD", 
    "COT-COD", 
    NumDate 
Resident Faktury;

Drop Table Faktury;

inner join(Dossie1000_tmp_tmp) 
load 
	ArtId, 
    max(NumDate) as NumDate 
    resident Dossie1000_tmp_tmp 
group by ArtId;

Dossie1000_tmp:
Load
    //FirstSortedValue(ArtId, NumDate),
    "DOS-COD",
    "COT-COD",
    NumDate
Resident Dossie1000_tmp_tmp
Group By NumDate, "COT-COD", "DOS-COD"
;

NoConcatenate
Dossie1000:
Load
    ArtId,
    "DOS-COD",
    "COT-COD"
Resident Dossie1000_tmp_tmp
Where "DOS-COD" = 1000 ;
;

STORE Dossie1000_tmp_tmp INTO [lib://QlikContainers\Prod\QlikRaporty\2.QVD\Dossie1000_tmp_tmp.qvd]
(qvd);
STORE Dossie1000 INTO [lib://QlikContainers\Prod\QlikRaporty\2.QVD\Dossie1000.qvd]
(qvd);

Drop Table Dossie1000_tmp_tmp;
//you need to remove Faktury_Calosc because Where not Exists(ArtId); refers to the entire code, not selected tables
Drop Table Faktury_Calosc;

NoConcatenate
ArtId_NotIn1000:
Load
    Distinct ArtId,
    "DOS-COD",
    "COT-COD"
//NumDate
//Resident Faktury
FROM [lib://QlikContainers\Prod\QlikRaporty\2.QVD\Dossie1000_tmp_tmp.qvd]
(qvd)
Where not Exists(ArtId);

//we load back the tables with our data.
Faktury_Calosc:
LOAD *
FROM [lib://QlikContainers\Prod\QlikRaporty\2.QVD\Faktury_Calosc.qvd]
(qvd);

Thanks & Regards,
Please close the thread by marking correct answer & give likes if you like the post.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
marcus_sommer

Your table-data are more granular as your intended group by - therefore you couldn't reach your results. This means you need at least one step more, maybe with:

t: load ArtId, DOS_COD, COT_COD, YearMonth from Source;
    inner join(t) load ArtId, max(YearMonth) as YearMonth resident t group by ArtId;

I suggest to create YearMonth as number and not as string - in this case here  a string and using maxstring() instead of max() may work but there are surely further measurements where a string would be a disadvantage.

BrunPierre
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi, try this

Dossie1000_tmp:
LOAD ArtId,
[DOS-COD],
[COT-COD],
Month,
Year,
Year_Month,
Date(Date#(Year_Month, 'YYYY.MM'), 'YYYY.MM.DD') as Date /*Convert Year month to date*/
FROM SourceTable;

Inner Join(Dossie1000_tmp)
LOAD Distinct ArtId,
Max(Date) as Date
Resident Dossie1000_tmp
Group By ArtId;

DROP Field Date From Dossie1000_tmp; /*Optional */

Sebastian_Dec
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi @marcus_sommer , I don't know if I understood you correctly, but I don't have any results.

Sebastian_Dec_0-1694693009562.png

My code:

t: 
load 
    ArtId, 
    "DOS-COD", 
    "COT-COD", 
    YearMonth 
FROM [lib://QlikContainers\Prod\QlikRaporty\2.QVD\Faktury.qvd]
(qvd);

inner join(t) 
load 
	ArtId, 
    max(YearMonth) as YearMonth 
    resident t 
group by ArtId;

Dossie1000_tmp:
Load
    //FirstSortedValue(ArtId, DataFaktury),
    //"DOS-COD",
    "COT-COD",
    YearMonth
Resident t
Group By YearMonth, "COT-COD"
;

Thanks & Regards,
Sebastian_Dec
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi, @BrunPierre , unfortunately, after applying the code, the duplicates still did not disappear.

Sebastian_Dec_0-1694693173652.png

Sebastian_Dec_1-1694693229618.png

Dossie1000_tmp:
LOAD 
	ArtId,
    [DOS-COD],
    [COT-COD],
    Month,
    Year,
    YearMonth 
FROM [lib://QlikContainers\Prod\QlikRaporty\2.QVD\Faktury.qvd]
(qvd);

LOAD 
	Distinct ArtId,
	MaxString(YearMonth) as Year_Month
Resident Dossie1000_tmp
Group By ArtId;

Thanks & Regards,
marcus_sommer

Like described max() will work for numbers and maxstring() for string-values. Further there should be no further loads of the source-qvd and/or against the resident-table - at least not at this time because it may impact the loads itself and/or the way you will look on the results.

Or
MVP
MVP

It looks like you're not quite completing the required grouping and aggregation. It should look something like:

Load ArtId, Max(YearMonth) as Year_Month, FirstSortedValue(SomeField1,YearMonth) as SomeField1, FirstSortedValue(SomeField2,YearMonth) as SomeField2 etc

From YourTable

Group By ArtId

Sebastian_Dec
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Ok, @marcus_sommer @BrunPierre , I changed my approach to the code and modified it a bit... it meets the assumptions, but it generates errors that I don't understand.

I removed the year and month and instead changed the date to a number so that it would be in the form, e.g. 44600

Num([HVE-DATFAC]) as NumDate,

([HVE-DATFAC] is a date column day, month, year)

My code currently looks like this:

Dossie1000_tmp:
LOAD 
    ArtId,
    [DOS-COD],
    [COT-COD],
    NumDate
Resident Faktury
Where "DOS-COD" = 1000
Order By NumDate Desc;

LOAD Distinct ArtId,
 Max(NumDate) as NumDate
 Resident Dossie1000_tmp
 Group By ArtId
 ;

DROP Field NumDate From Dossie1000_tmp;

But there is one big problem, it shows me, for example, this result, while in the original table have code 9 for 2021 and cod 40 for 2022/2023

Current code:
Sebastian_Dec_0-1694763280222.png

Original:

Sebastian_Dec_2-1694764627600.png

I try change Max(NumDate) as NumDate to Min(NumDate) as NumDate but it doesn't work

I have Order By NumDate Desc;  but it doesn't work

I don't understand why it still takes the first date and not the last...

Thanks & Regards,
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @Sebastian_Dec what happens with table "Faktury" you are not dropping it in your script (or we just cannot se it) so it is hard to tell where the issue lies as other tables can impact results of what you see in UI

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
marcus_sommer

There is no error - maybe other results as you expects but no error. In regard to the aggregation-load the order by has no impact for min/max.

Beside this I think you don't look on the result of your filter-query else to other data within your data-model which is confusing you. Therefore follow my suggestion from above and load only the raw-data for the filter-query and removing afterwards all other tables unless the filter-table.