Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qliker3
Creator
Creator

Histogram function

Hi, i have this example data: 

product amount timestamp SNr

a               30             01.01             10

b               40             01.01             10

a               30             01.01             12

b               50             01.01             12

a               30             02.01             11

b               25             02.01             11

etc...

i want to make a histogram that sums the amounts of each product (later it should be possible to filter out products).

Ex: 70, 24, 22 etc.

The histogram should show the frequency of each sum

My idea is 

=aggr(sum(amount), timestamp, SNr, product )

why dosent this work? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KGalloway
Creator II
Creator II

I don't know that this is possible with a histogram. They are usually meant for looking at the distribution of values in a given field. You would need to create a field that had the summed amounts grouped by timestamp and SNr (ignoring product) but also they need to remember which part of the summed amount was associated with which product. I may be missing something, but I don't think this is possible.

I was able to approximate what I think you are looking for with a bar chart.

KGalloway_0-1674742769286.png

This bar chart has aggr(sum(amount), timestamp, SNr) as the dimension and count(aggr(sum(amount), timestamp, SNr)) as the measure. I then changed the settings of the x-axis to use a continuous scale:

KGalloway_1-1674742853106.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies
KGalloway
Creator II
Creator II

Do you need to aggregate the sum across all those fields? When I create a histogram with just "amount", I get the following:

KGalloway_0-1674511576661.png

The data used is shown in the table. Will this work? If not, could you clarify your requirements a little. What data do you want to see the distribution of?

qliker3
Creator
Creator
Author

no, for example: for SNr 10 and timestamp 01.01: a + b = 30 + 40 = 70 etc.

sql : SELECT date(timestamp) as datetest, SNr, SUM(amount) as sumamount
FROM table
GROUP BY date(timestamp), SNr

i cant use this because i want to be able to filter the data by product

KGalloway
Creator II
Creator II

I don't know that this is possible with a histogram. They are usually meant for looking at the distribution of values in a given field. You would need to create a field that had the summed amounts grouped by timestamp and SNr (ignoring product) but also they need to remember which part of the summed amount was associated with which product. I may be missing something, but I don't think this is possible.

I was able to approximate what I think you are looking for with a bar chart.

KGalloway_0-1674742769286.png

This bar chart has aggr(sum(amount), timestamp, SNr) as the dimension and count(aggr(sum(amount), timestamp, SNr)) as the measure. I then changed the settings of the x-axis to use a continuous scale:

KGalloway_1-1674742853106.png

qliker3
Creator
Creator
Author

thanks that works, but for some reason i was getting a lot of 0 in dimension. I have fixed it with an "if". Do you have any idea what could i be getting zeros? 

KGalloway
Creator II
Creator II

I can't say for sure without knowing more about the data. Could you share a sample of the data that produces 0s?