Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EMaebe
Contributor III
Contributor III

How to handle null values in pick(match())

Hi all,

I have 3 tables that are basically identical except for the type of "pick" transaction. I used concatenate load to combine these tables. I have a pick(match()) statement to clean up the names of the equip_code (so creating an equip_code_desc)

Pick(match(equip_code, '1', '2', '3'), 'a', 'b', 'c') as equip_code_desc

I've put this formula into each of the load statements for the 3 tables. It's working as expected. However, I have null values in the equip_code. Typically, I'd just use if(isnull()) to allow me to filter by the nulls. I tried 

If(isnull(equip_code),'null',Pick(match(equip_code, '1', '2', '3'), 'a', 'b', 'c')) as equip_code_desc

but that didn't work. 

I tried 

If(Equip_code LIKE '','null',Pick(match(equip_code, '1', '2', '3'), 'a', 'b', 'c')) as equip_code_desc

which also did not work.

Then I tried preceding loads, but that didn't work either. Maybe because I used load * for all of the preceding loads? Do I need to use CONCATENATE LOAD * for the preceding loads in from of the concatenated tables? 

How do I handle null values in a pick(match()) statement? 

Labels (4)
3 Replies
Or
MVP
MVP

Coalesce(Pick(match(equip_code, '1', '2', '3'), 'a', 'b', 'c'),'null')

or

Pick(wildmatch(equip_code, '1', '2', '3','*'), 'a', 'b', 'c','null')

Should work

PedroNetto
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi! Try:

If(len(trim(Equip_code)) = 0,'null',Pick(match(equip_code, '1', '2', '3'), 'a', 'b', 'c')) as equip_code_desc

EMaebe
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I realized that the null values I was seeing was caused by another table I had joined to. I've solved that and no longer have nulls. I don't know that I can accept either response as solution since I didn't end up using any of the suggested functions so I don't know which one would work best. But I'm glad to know about WildMatch function going forward. Thanks for your help!