Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neha_sharma1275
Contributor II
Contributor II

How to migrate 10000 Qliksense Users from one QlikSense Environment to another

Dear Experts,

I have a requirement to move my 10,000 existing users(in a way that they are moved within their streams) between one Qliksense server to another one. 
Since I have 10,000 users, moving them one by one is quite difficult. DO you know a way using which we can automate this process or do it in a batch?

Any help is highly appreciated !

Thanks,

Neha

Labels (1)
5 Replies
eliran
Creator III
Creator III

Hi Neha,

How do you manage the security rule in the "old" server?

Does it work with some custom property?

Elirna.

neha_sharma1275
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

We use Active Directory to manage users. I am not sure if that's what you wanted to know.. Could you please elaborate what do you wanted to know when you say 'Security Rule' . Sorry if this question of mine sounds stupid 🙂 

eliran
Creator III
Creator III

Let's see we understand each other fully.

Your scneario, is that you have 10k users on #1 server (let's call it Qlik01)

You wish to move all these users to #2 server (let's call it Qlik02)

Under Qlik01, your users are allocated to each stream according to some security rules.

Global security rules can be found under - QMC - Security rules - you can filter those who are CUSTOM type.

For specific stream, you need to go to the properties and edit the security rule associated with it.

If the above doesnt make sense, I would think about getting some outside help, since this is only the start to understand what you got currently.

Eliran

neha_sharma1275
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hello Eliran,

You're right. We do have Custom properties for the users of different streams. 

So how can we migrate these users now along with the rules ?

Thanks in advance !

eliran
Creator III
Creator III

So what you're saying, you need to save the custom property for each user, and update it in the new server.

If so, the only method you can do it by code, is manipulating the postgres DB.

Note that any manipulation to the postgres DB can break your server, do prepare a backup before doing so.

You need to create an ODBC connection to the postgres DB of your current server, extract the proper table from it, and update the the DB on the new server with the above match.

1. Locate table in current server DB

2. copy the values from this table (userid + custom properties)

3. create the same custom properties in the new server

4. update the table in the DB with the above results

It's a bit tricky, but will save alot of time.

I hope it helps,

Eliran.