In my table I have a Parent_ID, a CHILD_ID and a Description field, as example:

PARENT_ID CHILD_ID DESCRIPTION
10 1 Description 1
10 2 Description 2
10 3 Description 3
  10 Description 1
  10 Description 2
  10 Description 3

I want to load the CHILD_IDs with their matching PARENT_IDs and the matching Descriptions. The problem is that the PARENT_ID is also listed in the CHILD_ID Field since the PARENT_ID for the CHILD_IDs 1,2,3 can be the CHILD_ID to another PARENT_ID. My Problem is that I only want to see the descriptions for a CHILD_ID if there is only one Description for this ID because in this example the field description for the CHILD_ID 10 would contain all description for the CHILD_IDs of the PARENT_ID 10. My two ideas were: 1)To only load the data for the description field if there is only one entry or 2) only load the description field if the CHILD_ID does not exist in the PARENT_ID column. My problem is that I dont know how to implement idea 1) or 2) in the data load editor and which idea is better.

I hope my problem got clear and thanks for your help,

Regards Chris.

Labels (5)
1 Reply
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

I would do it a different way. I would use ALL descriptions, concatenated using Concat(). Then I would load it using the Hierarchy prefix:

Data:
Hierarchy (CHILD_ID, PARENT_ID, Node, Parent, Node, Path, '/', Depth)
Load
CHILD_ID,
CHILD_ID as Node,
MinString(PARENT_ID) as PARENT_ID,
Concat(distinct DESCRIPTION,',') as DESCRIPTION
Resident SourceData
Group By CHILD_ID;

Henric_Cronstrm_0-1650961402105.png

See also https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Design-Blog/Unbalanced-n-level-hierarchies/ba-p/1474325