Skip to main content
Announcements
Accelerate Your Success: Fuel your data and AI journey with the right services, delivered by our experts. Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davide_ing
Contributor
Contributor

Load only one 'year field' for different territorial levels in QlikSense

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if there is a better solution for this problem: I have different data tables referring to different territorial levels (states, regions, provinces, cities, etc.).

Every level has year-related data:

• cities have number of inhabitants in 2022, 2021, etc.
  • provinces have number of deaths in 2019, 2018, etc.
  • etc.

In my model I loaded a 'YEAR' field for every level (STATE_YEAR, REGION_YEAR, etc.), but this force me to do multiple selection if I want to see all the data of a specific year.

Is there a better way to do that?

Thank in advance

Labels (4)
4 Replies
ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

In the simpliest way

concatenate your separate facts into one fact table  set a FACT_TYPE for each data set i.e  'number of inhabitants' as FACT_TYPE and 'number of deaths' as FACT_TYPE. Then alias your STATE_YEAR as Year and REGION_YEAR as Year.

Then you'll have one field to filter on.

davide_ing
Contributor
Contributor
Author

But at the same time I would like to mantain the hierarchical relationship between STATE, REGION, etc. (i.e. regionA belongs to state1, regionB belongs to state2), so the the region table is linked to state table, province table is linked to region table, etc.

ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

Include the geographical fields in your fact table and fill in the blanks based on your hierarchy using mapping tables.  For the measures that have no state add the label 'No State' so you can filter on it.

davide_ing
Contributor
Contributor
Author

With 'include the geographical fields in the fact table' do you mean something like that?

STATE REGION FACT_TYPE YEAR VALUE
STATE1 REGION A INDEX1 2019 100
STATE1 REGION A INDEX1 2020 200
STATE1 REGION A INDEX1 300
STATE1 REGION B INDEX1 2019 50
STATE1 REGION B INDEX1 2020 60
STATE1 REGION B INDEX1 70

I haven't understood the other points; could you show me an example?