Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turodionova
Contributor III
Contributor III

Rank() on Multiple Dimensions with Other

Dear experts,

I need to build a pivot table table with constrained and grouped by fields BRAND and ITEM based on Value ranking:

- top 3 BRAND and "OTHER" in BRAND  

- top 3 ITEMS for BRAND and "OTHER" for OTHER BRAND

Below is example of what want to achieve:

BRAND

ITEM

BRAND

Sum(Value)

AAA

aaa_2

AAA

9 440

OTHER

AAA

aaa_4

AAA

aaa_3

AAA

BBB

bbb_2

BBB

1 150

OTHER

BBB

bbb_4

BBB

bbb_5

BBB

CCC

ccc_2

CCC

OTHER

CCC

ccc_4

CCC

ccc_3

CCC

OTHER

OTHER

I use expression for BRAND, that works as I need:

aggr(if(rank(sum(Total<BRAND>Value) ) < 4, BRAND, 'OTHER'), BRAND)

For ITEM I use the following expression:

aggr(if(rank(sum(Total<BRAND,ITEM>Value) ) < 4, ITEM, 'OTHER'), BRAND, ITEM)

In result I get this table.

BRAND

ITEM

Sum(Value)

AAA

aaa_2

9 440

OTHER

aaa_4

aaa_3

BBB

bbb_2

1 150

OTHER

bbb_4

bbb_5

CCC

ccc_2

OTHER

ccc_4

ccc_3

OTHER

OTHER

ddd_6

eee_1

ddd_5

ddd_1

hhh_1

Could you please give an advice how to change logic for OTHER and get the first table.

Would be grate to find a solution that allows to add many addition levels with the same approach: one row for "OTHER" for all levels. 

Please find attached qwf as an example. 

Labels (6)
8 Replies
Nicolae_Alecu
Creator
Creator

Hello,

One solution is to create a new BRAND column in script based on your criteria, and this column should have values {'AAA','BBB','CCC','OTHER'}

Have a nice day 😄

turodionova
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hello,

Thank you for your solution!

I actually need to recalculate ranks on the fly using filters.

marcus_sommer

You may try to extend the dimension-calculation by including the rank within the results, like:

aggr(if(rank(sum(Total<BRAND>Value) ) < 4,
   dual(BRAND, rank(sum(Total<BRAND>Value)), dual('OTHER', 4)), BRAND)

aggr(if(rank(sum(Total<BRAND,ITEM>Value)) < 4,
   dual(ITEM, rank(sum(Total<BRAND,ITEM>Value))), dual('OTHER', 4)), BRAND, ITEM)

turodionova
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you! I really like your solution! 

With your expressions I get a table with top 4 Items within OTHER. 

It is not one row for "OTHER" for all levels, but it looks much better. Many thanks! 

turodionova_1-1710936975494.png

marcus_sommer

You may try to combine both parts, maybe like:

if(
aggr(if(rank(sum(Total<BRAND>Value) ) < 4,
   dual(BRAND, rank(sum(Total<BRAND>Value)), dual('OTHER', 4)), BRAND) = 'OTHER',
   dual('OTHER', 4),

aggr(if(rank(sum(Total<BRAND,ITEM>Value)) < 4,
   dual(ITEM, rank(sum(Total<BRAND,ITEM>Value))), dual('OTHER', 4)), BRAND, ITEM))

turodionova
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Just noticed that this method with dual doesn't work properly in the app - mixed ITEMS over BRAND in a weird way. 🤔

marcus_sommer

Calculated dimensions have their difficulties especially if there is more as a single one within an object and if there are further requirements like creating own partial results for certain dimension-values or realizing a special sorting and so on.

I'm not sure anymore how I solved similar cases because it was for ages but it was always very ugly and quite different to the various cases. If I remember the essential parts it was using dual() as well as adding the rank-results to the dimension-values, like: 1. AAA; 2. CCC, 3. BBB in which the included number will enforce a string-sorting. Since QV 12 there is also a sorting-feature within the aggr() but I have no productive use-case for it.

Further helpful could be not to calculate everything within the dimensions else also within the expressions and/or to combine several ones within a range-function (for using multiple sum() with different conditions which return ZERO or NULL for the most rows unless the wanted ones) and/or calculating some parts within variables, like: concat(distinct aggr(if(rank(sum())< n;Field), Field), ',') which is then taken as filter-list within the dimension/expression and another one which didn't takes < n else >= n which might be applied for OTHER which is added as a real (dummy) value to the dimension (maybe within a second parallel field).

In this regard it might be also useful to count the number of possible/excluded dimension-values and also to combine multiple calculated dimensions within a single one and a threshold might then be <= 3 * Count(distinct Item) and afterwards such combined string-result is divided with string-functions.

Somehow will be always a way but the above mentioned stuff is complex, ugly and maybe not performant enough in the end. Therefore take a look if it could be simplified by using several objects for the information and also if you couldn't use inbuilt features. In QV there were possibilities within a straight-table and bar-charts but not in pivot to define top/flop n against a measure and showing everything else as others but if I remember correctly it had some limitations to the number of dimensions and probably some more. But even it couldn't fulfill all requirements it shouldn't be discarded to soon.

turodionova
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

There are a lot of ideas to work through. )

Thank you!