Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Crichter141
Creator
Creator

Resource Needed to Teach me about Connectors, set up etc

In Reddit Terms, I need it ELI5 (Explain it to me like I'm 5).  I know nothing about connectors and would like to know more.  My goal is to connect Centric 8 REST API to Qlik Sense, but since I know nothing about Connectors I want to get the basics down first. 

If anyone has any resources, search terms, websites to recommend I would be grateful.   I'm trying to cut through the internet noise and sales people.  So your guidance is appreciated.

I do not have a Centric license, but our company has the product.  They will not be giving me a license - so I can't look inside Centric.  I may be able to look over someone's shoulder, but since then I'll be using their time (and mine) I wanted to come at this with some knowledge of what is needed.

Thanks in advance!

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Nick_Asilo
Support
Support

@Crichter141 so in the language of Qlik Sense a connector is a component of Qlik Sense, the platform and backend, for pulling data into your Qlik Sense App, what will be used by yourself and your clients to organize and view the data you are concerned with.

So connectors are used to pull data into your app, not utilized by 3rd party tools to access Qlik Sense.
So if your goal is to pull data from Centric 8 into Qlik Sense then Qlik Sense has a REST connector available.

You would have to review the documentation for the connector but also become familiar with the REST API of Centric which your coworkers may be able to assist with.

Though if by "connect Centric 8 REST API to Qlik Sense" you mean to pull data from Qlik Sense into Centric 8 as part of its PLM functions then connectors will not be the solution. You would have to begin reviewing the various APIs available to developers to communicate with Qlik Sense and its services.

But if it is the former and you are looking for some basic guides on getting started in Qlik Sense and adding data to a Qlik Sense app I have linked some documentation below which can help
Creating an app 
Loading and managing data with Data Manager 
Loading and transforming data with scripting

Connecting to data sources

Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you! If already marked, give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Nick_Asilo
Support
Support

@Crichter141 so in the language of Qlik Sense a connector is a component of Qlik Sense, the platform and backend, for pulling data into your Qlik Sense App, what will be used by yourself and your clients to organize and view the data you are concerned with.

So connectors are used to pull data into your app, not utilized by 3rd party tools to access Qlik Sense.
So if your goal is to pull data from Centric 8 into Qlik Sense then Qlik Sense has a REST connector available.

You would have to review the documentation for the connector but also become familiar with the REST API of Centric which your coworkers may be able to assist with.

Though if by "connect Centric 8 REST API to Qlik Sense" you mean to pull data from Qlik Sense into Centric 8 as part of its PLM functions then connectors will not be the solution. You would have to begin reviewing the various APIs available to developers to communicate with Qlik Sense and its services.

But if it is the former and you are looking for some basic guides on getting started in Qlik Sense and adding data to a Qlik Sense app I have linked some documentation below which can help
Creating an app 
Loading and managing data with Data Manager 
Loading and transforming data with scripting

Connecting to data sources

Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you! If already marked, give it a thumbs up!
Crichter141
Creator
Creator
Author

Thank you Nick, that is exactly what I'm looking for.