Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
loictaymont
Contributor
Contributor

Search in field with optional values possible ?

Hi,

First question out here and I hope I ask it at the right place.

I am not able to search with optional value in a field as I would do with python (REGEX : s? for example).

I understand the uses of wild cards *, ?, " but with the modifier ?, it expects something (a letter or space but something !)

For example :

I would like to be able to search in a field for "car in a garage" and "cars in a garage". To do that, I tried *car? in a garage* but it doesn't work as Qlik is looking for something + a space between "car and in". I am not interested in search like *car*in a garage* as it could integrate "car is not in a garage but there is a bike in a garage"

I know there are alternatives searchs but I would like to know if a special character could allow me to have something (letter, space, number, ...) or nothing ! May be it is a limit to QLIK search engine !

Thank you !!

Loic

Labels (3)
3 Replies
Chanty4u
MVP
MVP

Try this

LOAD

Field

FROM

Data.xls

WHERE

WildMatch(Field, '*car in a garage*') OR WildMatch(Field, '*cars in a garage*');

marcus_sommer

AFAIK there is no own Qlik logic within the normal search else Qlik used on this layer the standard Windows libraries which provides just the * and ? which will behave like you described.

Within the newer Qlik cloud releases there are now some regex-features implemented, see:

Working with regular expressions | Qlik Cloud Help

Beside this there were also various bypass-logic shown here in the community mostly by outsourcing the regex-task into any other tool. I could remember to ones with vbs-functions in QlikView but there were others, too.

If you really need complex regex-stuff it doesn't makes sense to look for a workaround but if it are a few and rather simple matches you may replace these logic with the various text- and mapping-functions of Qlik and maybe also the practically approach to apply a search several times with small variances.

loictaymont
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thank you for your help both of you.I ll have a look at those REGEX.

@Chanty4u , thanks for your quick answer however I don't want to "search" within the script but rather directly in the visualisation and in a field. My goal was to provide users with some guidelines to better search in a field (with long non-structured text).

Regards,