Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garyvary123
Contributor III
Contributor III

Sorting by Quarter Year

Hi guys, I want to sort my tables, graphs and everything else in order by Quarter and Year. The desired format is the following:

1Q19, 2Q19, 3Q19, 4Q19, 1Q20, 2Q20, 3Q20, 4Q20 etc..

What I'm getting is:

1Q19, 1Q20, 1Q21, 1Q22, 2Q19, 2Q20, 2Q21, 2Q22 etc..

I've used a brute force method but would like to make it dynamic. Would appreciate any help.

=match([Date],'1Q18', '2Q18', '3Q18', '4Q18', '1Q19', '2Q19', '3Q19', '4Q19')

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Or
MVP
MVP

Use Dual() to give each quarter its underlying date or numeric value. If you aren't tied to this specific format, Qlik has a built-in Quartername() function as well, but it won't match the format you're currently using.

From this specific format, you could probably do something like num(Right(Quarter,2) & left(Quarter,1)) for the numeric part of the dual(), but if you have the underlying date you could just use that.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Or
MVP
MVP

Use Dual() to give each quarter its underlying date or numeric value. If you aren't tied to this specific format, Qlik has a built-in Quartername() function as well, but it won't match the format you're currently using.

From this specific format, you could probably do something like num(Right(Quarter,2) & left(Quarter,1)) for the numeric part of the dual(), but if you have the underlying date you could just use that.