Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AK_
Contributor II
Contributor II

Tag field with $hidden conditionally

Hi All,

I am trying to hide a field from the selections for some people based on Section access. I don't want to use OMIT as the field is used in the back of most of my visualisations, and if I omit it for someone, that person won't be able to see the charts that use it in the back. 

Therefore I would like to 'Tag it with $hidden' but only for certain people. So all in all, is it possible to 'Tag a field with $hidden' conditionally, and if yes -  how?

Thanks

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Or
MVP
MVP

As far as I know, this isn't possible. My understanding is that tags are app-level and set at reload and thus can't be modified when a user logs in.

A possible workaround might be to tag the field as hidden for everyone, and build a master dimension on top of it such as If(OSUser()='SomeUser',HiddenFieldName), and then add a filter pane based on the master item?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Or
MVP
MVP

As far as I know, this isn't possible. My understanding is that tags are app-level and set at reload and thus can't be modified when a user logs in.

A possible workaround might be to tag the field as hidden for everyone, and build a master dimension on top of it such as If(OSUser()='SomeUser',HiddenFieldName), and then add a filter pane based on the master item?

AK_
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you for replying so quickly.

I tried your workaround, but my issue is that the filter still shows even if the user is excluded from it - although it's empty and you can't see any value in it. But I would like it to look like it doesn't even exist for certain users.

Or
MVP
MVP

Conditionally display the object you put it in, using a show/hide container, perhaps, using the same condition as the dimension? You'd still be left with a blank space but the field wouldn't be visible.

AK_
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Yes that works well but a container for the filter pane doesn't look great in this specific dashboard. What I did based off your idea is that I used the same condition in the title of the object so that it shows as a blank field with no values. It's not ideal but will work for now. Thank you for your help!