Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DutchArjo
Creator
Creator

Understanding 'Count' formula

I have a measure 'GRC' which is loaded with a load script. When I look into the source excel file, I have many empty cells: 818 of the total 1870 rows have a value >0. (not taking into account applied filters)

I found in the Qlik sense documentation the count formula counts also empty cells:

https://help.qlik.com/nl-NL/sense/November2023/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_Hub/ChartFunctions/Count...

Voorbeeld Resultaat
Count(OrderNumber)

10, omdat er 10 velden zijn die een waarde voor OrderNumber zouden kunnen hebben en alle records, zelfs lege, worden geteld.

But when I look in my worksheet, the number this formula reports is 356.
I do not understand what may causes such a large difference.

The source file hold a list of airplane flights including some additional figures. 1 flight can be in the list multiple times, depending on particularities.
To avoid double counting of flights, the flight number for this flights who are in the list more than 1 time, are only listed once.

But, this is a different measure (%VL_vluchtnummer) and is not counted in this KPI.

When I select all cells in the excel source file, Excel report Count: 356:

However, the number 356 is correct, I don't understand the formula because it should also count empty cells as stated in the Qlik documentation?

Labels (3)
1 Reply
LRuCelver
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

I don't like the example in the documentation. The "empty" values in the example are not Null, they are empty strings, which is why they are still counted.

Null-values are not counted when using Count().