Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mymun_stat
Contributor II
Contributor II

Weighted average

Hi, I have a data that look like this:

customer_id product_id Weights
1 B 2
2 B 4
2 F 4
2 L 4
2 A 1
2 BE 3
2 K 2
2 LA 5
2 LN -
2 O 3
2 T 1
3 B 5
3 A -
3 BE 2
3 F 1
3 K -
3 L 3
3 LE 5
3 LA 2
3 O 2
3 T 1
4 L 2
4 B 4
4 L 4
4 A -
4 BE 3
4 F 1
4 K 2
4 LA 3
4 O 4
4 T 2
5 B 4
6 B 5
6 F 5
6 A 3
6 BE 4
6 K 1
6 LA 3
6 LE 2
6 L 3
6 O 1
6 T 2

In the front end table chart, I want to get the weighted average for each product id where weights column is the weight.

So for product A, I should get the weighted average as  (w1x1 + w2x2+ .......... + w5x5)/(x1 + x2 + ......... + x5)

Here,

w1 = 1 AND X1 = count(distinct customer_id) for w1

w2 = 2 AND X2 = count(distinct customer_id) for w2

w5 = 5 AND X5 = count(distinct customer_id) for w5

Thanks in advance.

Labels (3)
6 Replies
adang
Contributor III
Contributor III

You did not clarify where you want to calculate the weighted average; so I am assuming this is on a chart on the front-end. And here's how you can do it:

1) Add a table object in QS;

2) Add product_id as a dimension; on the measure; you will enter this expression: sum(weight)/count(product_id) and that should give you the weighted average. 

MarcoWedel

I think you are describing a regular average of your "weights" field instead of a weighted average.

So  simply "Avg(weights)" as expression should be enough having product_id as dimension.

hope this helps

Marco

mymun_stat
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi, thanks for your reply. Sorry, I did not explain it better before. I have updated the data in the post. The example that you gave is not what I am looking for.

mymun_stat
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi, I have updated the post. Thanks for your reply. sum(weight)/count(product_id) is not what I am looking for.

MarcoWedel

maybe like this?:

MarcoWedel_0-1648669820917.png

Sum(Aggr(Count(distinct customer_id)*Weights,Weights,product_id))

hope this helps

Marco

mymun_stat
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks! It gives the total per product but I have found a way to get weighted average.