Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Displaying Million, Billion etc

Greetings

I want to display  thousands, millions, billions  etc. I came across this thread https://community.qlik.com/thread/117407

Mr. Marco Wedel solution suits my needs.

SET vSize = Div(Log10($1),3); 

SET vFormatNumber = Dual(Num($1/Pow(10,3*$(vSize($1))),'#,##0')&' '&Pick($(vSize($1)),'K','Mil','Bil','Tril'),$1); 

In my Analysis I have Dimension Month, My current  Expression

=Sum(TOTAL_VALUE_USD)

I added the above two lines of code in my Script (Control + E)

Used the following expression

=$(vFormatNumber(Sum (TOTAL_VALUE_USD)))

The value on Data points displayed on the chart is not displaying Mil, bil etc

million.PNG

How do I display Millions, Billions on Value on Data Points?

Thank you

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
paola_valenti
Creator
Creator

Yes, you're right.

I only tried to show in data point 'Mil', because I saw that your data were in that order of magnitude.

Loading param data, as was my first attempt (it was in the app that I loaded in my previous post), you can get 'Mil' or 'Bil' in data point, setting Expression Default in Chart Properties-Number, but only if you don't enter any Million, Billion, etc. Symbol for axis.

ParamData_ChartProperties.PNGParamData_Chart.PNG

I conclude that 'Mil', 'Bil', etc symbol that QlikView show on axis is referred also to data point values.

My imagination suggest me a not-elegat solution: you can do a chart with data point showed in million and make transparent all other element in this second chart.

Then you will place it on another chart, with Thousand, Million, Billion Symbol filled.

As data source is the same, charts will update together.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
sunny_talwar

Have you selected expression default formatting on the Number's tab of the chart properties?

paola_valenti
Creator
Creator

I tried to solve your problem using the solution you found in the community.

After loading data, I set Chart Properties -> Number as Default Expression.

I could obtain correct format of value in Data Point, but Axis numbers are not correctly formatted.

I tried to build a Graph from original values, setting this Chart Properties:

RowData_ChartProperties.PNG

I have this chart:

RowData_Chart.PNG

I hope this is what you need.

ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

It would be great if you could add your sample file with the chart from your example.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Toni

Thanks. My Qlik Sense is not working in Windows 8 and unable to  start. So I am using QlikView Free edition.

I am sharing the data here for easy reference.

'MONTH'TOTAL VALUE in USD
May-15529,662,749
Jun-15519,643,102
Jul-15444,403,714
Aug-15414,984,061
Sep-15518,026,973
Oct-15359,393,972
Nov-15396,255,915
Dec-15397,470,002
Jan-16410,496,456
Feb-16369,733,105
Mar-16413,428,544
Apr-16399,987,109
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Paola Valenti

In your example you have hard coded Mil in Integer format. So Mil is reflected. if the value is more than Billion it will still reflect as Mil not Bil. Correct me if I am incorrect.?

Without using any Variables, now my settings and chart as follows

Number.PNG

expression.PNG

Chart.PNG

If I follow as per your inputs but changed Mil to Bil in Integer format, the value is in Millions but it is displaying as Bil.

bil.PNG

BilChart.PNG

How do I display Mil, Bil etc in Chart. It is showing in Y Axis. But I would like to display next to the individual graphs.

ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

Qlik Sense failing to start is most likley caused by the Qlik Sense Desktop shortcut having a invalid "Start In Path" value.

1. Right-click the Qlik Sense Desktop shortcut
  2. Select "Properties"
  3. Select the "Shortcut" tab
  4. Find the "Start in" field
  5. Replace any current value with %LOCALAPPDATA%\Programs\Qlik\Sense
  6. Apply the change and try again

If that does not resolve the issue please reach out to Qlik Support for further help.

paola_valenti
Creator
Creator

Yes, you're right.

I only tried to show in data point 'Mil', because I saw that your data were in that order of magnitude.

Loading param data, as was my first attempt (it was in the app that I loaded in my previous post), you can get 'Mil' or 'Bil' in data point, setting Expression Default in Chart Properties-Number, but only if you don't enter any Million, Billion, etc. Symbol for axis.

ParamData_ChartProperties.PNGParamData_Chart.PNG

I conclude that 'Mil', 'Bil', etc symbol that QlikView show on axis is referred also to data point values.

My imagination suggest me a not-elegat solution: you can do a chart with data point showed in million and make transparent all other element in this second chart.

Then you will place it on another chart, with Thousand, Million, Billion Symbol filled.

As data source is the same, charts will update together.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you Paola. It is one way as you said it is not a elegant way. Looks like there is an opportunity for Qlikview to improve the design or I am anware of any better solution.