Skip to main content
Announcements
July 15, NEW Customer Portal: Initial launch will improve how you submit Support Cases. READ MORE

Outdated, out of support versions of Microsoft SQL Server and Qlik Cloud Analytics

100% helpful (4/4)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Outdated, out of support versions of Microsoft SQL Server and Qlik Cloud Analytics

Last Update:

May 22, 2024 6:48:46 AM

Updated By:

Sonja_Bauernfeind

Created date:

Jul 13, 2023 11:10:11 AM

Qlik Cloud (Qlik Sense) is incompatible with outdated and non-supported versions of Microsoft SQL Server and cannot utilize them as a data source.

Microsoft SQL Server 2012 and earlier are not supported by Microsoft (see SQL Server lifecycle dates). If you are unclear which version of SQL Server you have, use one of the methods described in this Microsoft article.

The Qlik Cloud Analytics connector for Microsoft SQL Server officially supports versions 2014 through 2019

To continue using the Microsoft SQL Server connector in Qlik Cloud Analytics you must ensure that your environment is on a supported Microsoft SQL Server version within a supported version of the operating system. For reference and details, review the Microsoft online documentation pages on how to upgrade SQL Server.

You also have the option to move your on-premises Microsoft SQL Server to Azure SQL Database. This cloud version uses the same database engine, which is continuously improved and upgraded in Microsoft Azure. Qlik Cloud Analytics already has a dedicated connector for Azure SQL Database.

This issue with older versions of Microsoft SQL Server is an excellent example of why Qlik recommends that sources being accessed by Qlik Cloud Analytics are kept up-to-date. Using a recent version enables you to:

• Protect your data with the latest security updates.  Not just within the database, but also in the protocols used in the data connection to external platforms
  • Take advantage of new capabilities and new features, as well as general improvements like performance
  • Proactively ensure compatibility with other environments and platforms when they get updated

If you are affected by this change or have any questions, please contact our Qlik Support representatives through chat. 

Environment:

Qlik Cloud 

Labels (1)
Comments
TLX-QlikView
Contributor III
Contributor III

hi

So, to get the connection up, i tried to install the Qlik Data Transfer.

Installed and when i try to configure the data transfer, getting error

as "Unable to connect to the tenant." and when i checked the datatransfer log, i found the underlying error as

"Global ERROR Error: Unable to contact Users Service. Underlying Error: write EPROTO 5036:error:14094410:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3 alert handshake failure"

Please help out. I need to get my reports up and running

thanks

KRS

AlexOmetis
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

@Sonja_Bauernfeind Why do you recommend Qlik Data Transfer when Qlik Data Gateway would be a simpler replacement? That's what we've used as a workaround with a few customers hit with this issue... All they need to do is install the gateway and set up a new connection. Moving to Data Transfer required an install and a reworking of all their reload processes to be run from the Data Transfer side instead of controlled from SaaS. Is there something I'm missing here?

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello @AlexOmetis 

Let me bring this over to our subject matter experts.

All the best,
Sonja 

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello again @AlexOmetis 

It is currently also possible to use the Gateway, and, for some customers, this route may be easier to implement. However, it is likely to be a much shorter-term solution, as you will need to keep the Gateway updated continuously and will therefore be more likely to run into a similar issue with incompatibility with the older (outdated) versions of Microsoft SQL Server (and Windows Server) much sooner than with Qlik Data Transfer.

All the best,
Sonja 

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello @TLX-QlikView The error you are sending indicates incompatibly of the cipher suites used, indicating this server may be running very outdated ssl/tls settings.

I recommend reviewing Qlik DataTransfer opens to a white screen and https://localhost:5505/ shows the error err_ssl_versio... and consequentially Disabling Weak Cipher suites for TLS 1.2 on a Windows machine running Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windo....

If this does not resolve the issue, please log a support ticket and send me the number of the ticket through a private message here so I can leave a comment on it regarding its urgency.

All the best,
Sonja 

TLX-QlikView
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi

Here is the update. 

We could not resolve the issue with Data Transfer. 

Meanwhile we were able to setup a data gateway and get connected to the database. 

So all set now. 

Thanks for the support.

KRS

Albert_Candelario

Thanks for the update @TLX-QlikView, glad is now working.

GhisleniDiSoft
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Hi, i try Qlik Data Transfer with Windows Server 2012 R2 but I have same problem:

Cattura.PNG

Do you have any suggest?

Many thanks.

Jordi
Contributor II
Contributor II

Is someone getting problems on "add new connection" in Qlik Data Transfer?

it hangs and does not respond.Qlik Data Transfer.png

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello, @GhisleniDiSoft I am not sure what the error would translate to directly, but it does look like one of these two may apply:

Should the above not help, please contact support to have the issue reviewed. Ensure you let them know you are attempting this as a workaround to the tightened security and deprecated SQL db versions.

@Jordi I recommend reviewing the Qlik Data Transfer logs (C:\ProgramData\Qlik\DataTransfer\Log) to see if you can spot an error. Then search for the error in our knowledge base for known solutions.

All the best,
Sonja 

Contributors
Version history
Last update:
‎2024-05-22 06:48 AM
Updated by: