Skip to main content
Announcements
July 15, NEW Customer Portal: Initial launch will improve how you submit Support Cases. READ MORE

Qlik Sense ODBC database connector performance increase: useBulkReader

No ratings
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Qlik Sense ODBC database connector performance increase: useBulkReader

Last Update:

May 5, 2023 3:43:56 AM

Updated By:

Sonja_Bauernfeind

Created date:

Oct 25, 2022 7:14:43 AM

Qlik has introduced an update with Qlik Cloud and Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows which significantly increases the performance of any ODBC database Connector when working with larger datasets.

The change was rolled out to Qlik Cloud in October 2022 and is available in any Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows version beginning November 2022.

All new connections automatically have a Bulk Reader feature that uses larger portions of data in the iterations within a load (instead of loading data row by row). This can result in faster load times for larger datasets.

To add this feature to an existing connection, open the connection properties window by selecting Edit and then click Save. The Bulk Reader feature is now turned on. You don’t have to change any connection properties to invoke this feature. 

While we believe that most customers will want all their ODBC connections to use this new capability, it is possible to turn off the Bulk Reader feature for a particular connector.  To do this, add the parameter useBulkReader with a value of False to the Advanced section of the connector properties window.

Environment

Qlik Cloud 
Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows 

The information in this article is provided as-is and to be used at own discretion. Depending on tool(s) used, customization(s), and/or other factors ongoing support on the solution below may not be provided by Qlik Support.

Related Content 

ODBC database

Labels (1)
Comments
Mimiek
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Dear Sonja, 

In Qlik Cloud SAAS I'm getting the error 'Invalid string or bugger length'. I did some research online and found articles where people put the cause of the error message at the 'Reload Optimization' option.

I read that there is a specific option: useBulkReader=false that needs to be entered under the advanced properties, but this is where I get stuck.

My Qlik Saas ODBC (via Direct Access Gateway) connector has no advanced properties so I cannot enter useBulkReader=false anywhere.

Do you perhaps have an idea or tip by which I am still able to retrieve data and get rid of the error message.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello @Mimiek 

Please contact our support through chat to get more direct assistance for this.

All the best,
Sonja 

cjgorrin
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi there,

Please, be aware that this feature combined with PostgreSQL causes strings to be cut to 255 characters.

If you turn the bulk load off, strings are not cut, at least in version May 2023 Patch 9.

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Official-Support-Articles/Qlik-Sense-PosgreSql-connector-cut-off-strin...

Version history
Last update:
‎2023-05-05 03:43 AM
Updated by: