Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rutger_jansen
Contributor III
Contributor III

Adding static expression overrides second dimension

Hi All,

I'm trying to display a 'static' expression in a chart whilst preserving a second dimension.

The .qvw attached demonstrates this better than I can explain it. Switch the options listbox to 'yes' to see the effect I'm trying to avoid;  aggregation of the actuals.

Put differently, I want to display the 'plan' line if the options = 'yes' AND I still want all the other lines -those visible when options is set to 'no'- to be displayed.  When options = 'yes' there should be 4 actuals and one plan line, otherwise just 4 actuals.

Background: I need to display plan data (which will actually be a set of linear equations) in the same chart as the actuals and I want to cycle through possible second dimensions using a cyclic group (though the the example only shows a single second dimension)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Rutger

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

You're right, it is a Qlikview limitation. If the options I outlined do not fulfill your requirements then you will have to use two charts and put them on top of each other. 

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

A line chart can have either two dimensions and one expression or one dimension and N expressions. So you can create four expressions, one for each quarter, and an expression for your Plan value with only the PIT dimension. Or you can add a reference line on the Presentation tab. Since your plan value of .3 is static anyway over the PIT values that is the easiest solution. See attached example.

rutger_jansen
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Gysbert,

Your first suggestion would work but means I'd have to create a separate expression for every possible interval; the real data will have months, quarters, years and combinations of these which should be selected by the user.

Regarding the second suggestion, I can't use the reference line because I want the user to choose from several (linear rather than constant) plan/target lines to include in a graph.

For example, the user might select a subset of the data (based on dimensions not shown in the sample file), specify 3 different quarters (e,g, 2013-Q3 to 2014-Q1) to display for that subset and then add a plan line that is most appropriate for the given selection.

Thanks very much for your help,

Rutger

PS: This* is a QlikView limitation as opposed to a logical limitation, right?

* A line chart can have either two dimensions and one expression or one dimension and N expressions.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

You're right, it is a Qlikview limitation. If the options I outlined do not fulfill your requirements then you will have to use two charts and put them on top of each other. 

rutger_jansen
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Great, thanks again.