cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jheasley
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

No Results in Closest Lookup

I have a closest lookup configured and it is not pulling results at all.  The locations are mapping without any issue, but cannot seem to find anything during the closest operation.   What i need is closest within 1500 miles, by truck. 

this is the start data set

Load * Inline [
DEST_ID,DEST_LOC
1499,"ALEXANDRIA,KY,US"
31,"ATHENS,OH,US"
2404,"BATAVIA,OH,US"
2748,"BEAVERCREEK,OH,US"
2781,"BELLEFONTAINE,OH,US"
1321,"BOTKINS,OH,US"
657,"CANAL WINCHESTER,OH,US"
2537,"CEDARVILLE,OH,US"
489,"CINCINNATI,OH,US"
1335,"CIRCLEVILLE,OH,US"
680,"COLUMBUS,OH,US"
2604,"DELAWARE,OH,US"
2457,"ETNA,OH,US"
843,"FAIRFIELD,OH,US"
2420,"FORT WRIGHT,KY,US"
2808,"FRANKLIN,OH,US"
3238,"GAHANNA,OH,US"
2163,"GALLIPOLIS,OH,US"
1358,"GROVE CITY,OH,US"
3001,"HAMILTON,OH,US"
1527,"HEATH,OH,US"
1927,"HILLIARD,OH,US"
1177,"LANCASTER,OH,US"
1117,"MAYSVILLE,KY,US"
2877,"MOUNT ORAB,OH,US"
442,"NEW BOSTON,OH,US"
2876,"NEWARK,OH,US"
2526,"PIQUA,OH,US"
2067,"PLAIN CITY,OH,US"
564,"REYNOLDSBURG,OH,US"
153,"SHARONVILLE,OH,US"
1077,"SIDNEY,OH,US"
223,"TIPP CITY,OH,US"
3014,"URBANA,OH,US"
1283,"WAVERLY,OH,US"
2174,"WEST JEFFERSON,OH,US"
2156,"WESTERVILLE,OH,US"
2855,"WHITEHALL,OH,US"
];

this is the set of points to which i want to find the closest 1:

load * Inline [
ORIGIN_ID,ORIGIN_LOC
1,"COMPTON,CA,US"
3,"WILMER,TX,US"
6,"CARLISLE,PA,US"
10,"PLEASANT PRAIRIE,WI,US"
13,"MCDONOUGH,GA,US"
];

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

Hi,

Thanks running QGA and sorry for the trouble. The QGA operation Closest has an upper limit of route distance, that depends on the number road links. And that is what happens in this case the routes becomes too long to run at the same time. Unfortunately there is no error message today, we will fix that in coming releases.

The workaround is to use QGA Operation Routes instead and calculate all possible routes and after that select the shortest. 

See my example, note that I moved the the server call inside the first loop to make 100 calls at the time. That is best practice also if you have your own QGA Server.

Thanks,
Patric

View solution in original post

7 Replies
sunny_talwar

Based on the data provided, what is the output you are expecting to see?
jheasley
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

the locations in the longer list are all within 1500 miles of the locations in the shorter list, i need to know which of the locations in the short list is closest.

sunny_talwar

But how exactly are we suppose to determine that which one is the closest? I mean is this based on longitude and latitude co-ordinates? or do you use the IDs?
jheasley
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

These are all subsets of a larger dataset.  the _LOC fields are a Location Named Point (a US City,State).  these location named points work for about 70% of the overall dataset.  this subset SHOULD be getting a result for closest, but are not getting one no matter what type of lookup is performed.  The named point also plots itself on a map, which verifies that geoanalytics knows where the location is.

sunny_talwar

I am so sorry, I didn't realize that this is for GeoAnalytics. I have no experience with GeoAnalytics and would not be able to offer any help. Once again apologize for wasting your time.
Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

Hi,

Thanks running QGA and sorry for the trouble. The QGA operation Closest has an upper limit of route distance, that depends on the number road links. And that is what happens in this case the routes becomes too long to run at the same time. Unfortunately there is no error message today, we will fix that in coming releases.

The workaround is to use QGA Operation Routes instead and calculate all possible routes and after that select the shortest. 

See my example, note that I moved the the server call inside the first loop to make 100 calls at the time. That is best practice also if you have your own QGA Server.

Thanks,
Patric

jheasley
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

Thanks Patric! this worked out really well.  i was able to incorporate the solution into the larger dataset and make it work as needed.