Defect acknowledgement with Nprinting Engine May 2022 SR2, please READ HERE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BaNANA
Contributor II
Contributor II

Bursting Reports in NPrint (Large Number of Users)

Hi Everyone, 

I am trying to solve this problem: 

We have bad data to be sent to different people based on who is responsible for that record. There are over 300 users who should get emails with "Just the records which they are responsible for". I did read about Section Access, User Filter etc in NPrint. However since my user list is huge  and dynamic what is the best way to achieve this? 

Thank you in advance!

Labels (2)
1 Reply
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Well with NPrinting 17.0 there are very limited options. I suggest to upgrade to April 2020 then you will have much more options available.

Now - there is no one good answer to this question. First thing you need to know is that each of your 300+ users will have to be created in NPrinting to achieve recipient filtering. 

1. If your user list is limited (say all 500 or 800 users you may want to load all of them at once and use section access to generate reports for them). Those users will need to be your domain users and they will need to exist in your section access table. You will need to use QVP connection for it, and distribution to 300 + users may take time.
  2. If your user list is more dynamic (new people coming and going all the time) you may need to consider using more dynamic approach. The option I would use would be dynamic user creation using API. Here is a link to repository NPrinting.qvs. There is a section of the code which handles creating users. Make sure you set it up properly as there are settings dependant on the version of NPrinting https://nprintingadventures.com/2019/04/08/nprinting-api-qlik-rest-subroutines/ . I would then allocate those users to a group (also via API) to make sure that only those are on recipient list. In this scenario I would also use Section Access for filtering.
  3. If your scripting skills are not on the level to understand point 2 you may want to consider creating a NPrinting report which will produce excel with recipient list and required filters. Look at link below, there is sample file with the required structure. Again you need to choose on the website panel which version of NPrinting you are using: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/April2020/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/Import-Users-...  You can use NPrinting to create such file and store it in the location for NPrinting to load it as recipient import task. This will allow you to remove/update users and allocate required filters and groups. Using this option you will not have to relay on section access...
  4. Last option would be my preference - Use API for user creation, filter creation, user filter allocation, user group allocation and task trigger. This would be my choice but it will be too difficult to explain in the community post.

thanks

Lech 

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.